Flexable PCB Design considerations

longpole001

Joined Sep 16, 2014
HI Guys , i have need to make a flexable pcb strip that hold IR sensors , the flexable pCB will be encased into fabric band that will need to flex ( 50mm raduis )
I am aware that you can get stiffeners fitted and semi rigid flex pcb to be made as well ,

Was wondering if any who have made flexable pcb , that have smd components mounted on the flex pcb , can advise on the robustness of using/ mounting components to a flex pcb ?

Regards

Sheldon

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I've done some work with flex, but typically fixed in place. Components don't flex. They require stiffening sufficient to resist flexation. Physically group components into locally stiffened areas, or 'segmented' stiffening to spread things out. Stiffeners range from an extra coverlay to rigid boards. Small components such as a 0603 or smaller should be ok if mounted perpendicular to flex plane, without stiffening.

The best way is get some samples into a test environment. You may find other performance requirements become a higher priority

longpole001

Joined Sep 16, 2014
Ok thanks for ibfo ill talk to the pcb manufacture more about stifners under mounted componet

Was considering uing a connector header pads in flex soldered direct to normal pcb. With strain relief