Flat Motors

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
I have a flat motor which is part of a turntable. It has 4 coils that are stationary and a permanent magnet in a toroidal shape that runs above the coils. I want to modify this so as to generate meaningful power say to drive a bike. Any ideas?

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I had one of those pancake motors just like yours. It is a low torque device that won;t produce much horsepower or generate any more current than it draws when running as a motor.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have a flat motor which is part of a turntable. It has 4 coils that are stationary and a permanent magnet in a toroidal shape that runs above the coils. I want to modify this so as to generate meaningful power say to drive a bike. Any ideas?
A turntable motor is very low power compared to a bicycle. And I’m not sure what you’re thinking of when you say you want to generate power to drive a bike. What would supply the power and why not just use that instead of converting a couple times? Every time you convert from electric power to shaft work or vice versa, you lose power.

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
Thanks to you both for your replies. I want to supply it with 24VDC from a battery. The magnet is quite powerful. I am thinking of scaling it up by adding bigger coils but first would like to find a motor controller chip that I connect to 24 VDC and the chip would connect to the motor. The present system uses transistors (about 8 in all), this is cumbersome. Any ideas for a motor controller chip? I can send you the circuit diagram if needed.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The present system uses transistors (about 8 in all), this is cumbersome.
I doubt you'll find a single-chip power-handling solution (though I'd like to be proved wrong). The transistors are presumably power types and generate heat, which has to be dissipated; hence space is needed for heatsinks or other cooling arrangements. I wouldn't expect any alternative system to be less cumbersome.

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
You will want to buy a motor like this. And you will not find power transistors and a μC integrated into one chip. It is completely impossible for the required power. And you will also need an expensive lithium battery. Lead acid would be far to heavy. A YouTuber, great scott, made an ebike. You can check it out to see what's involved.

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
You will want to buy a motor like this. And you will not find power transistors and a μC integrated into one chip. It is completely impossible for the required power. And you will also need an expensive lithium battery. Lead acid would be far to heavy. A YouTuber, great scott, made an ebike. You can check it out to see what's involved.
Thanks.
If a single chip is not available, any ideas how to do it with a min. number of discretes?

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
All it is to deliver 4 pulses 90 deg apart and then feed these pulses to power transistors. I do not have the expertise to do this so any ideas welcome.