flashing circuit to control bi-xenon solenoids

lrc131

Joined Jan 12, 2009
Im VERY new to making circuits. I saw someone on a HID lighting forum made his high beams on his bixenon headlights flash rapidly with a push of a button. here is a link to the video of his headlights: http://www.youtube.com/v/pgexwYy8H28&hl=en&fs=1 (@ :10 and @ :35 in video)
Basically, what im trying to do, is get two solenoid coils to activate about 4 or 5 times a second by pushing a momentary switch in the cabin. The solenoids need 12v DC to activate and the flasher needs to run on 12-14v DC. I tried a led flasher that i bought but the solenoids together draw too much current and fried the flasher. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A diagram would be even better:D thanks in advance.

Last edited:

lrc131

Joined Jan 12, 2009
the solenoids are fast enough. i can tap the solenoid leads with a 12v power source as fast as i can and they can keep up. they are spring loaded so once the power is removed they mechanically spring back. i need a circuit that can strobe/flash 12v @ 4-6Hz and be able to withstand the current draw of the solenoids.

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
A solenoid pushing on a switch is a Rube Goldberg way of making a relay.
I agree with Bill, though. Solid state switches (MOSFETs) are better for switching DC loads such as headlights.

lrc131

Joined Jan 12, 2009
You disagreed with my statement, you must know enough to do it yourself...
i thought you were saying that solenoids were slow and didnt react fast. is that what you were saying? I honestly have no idea what im doing. i dont even know what mosfets are/do.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You don't. Give it up on the solernoids. They are not designed for fast duty cycle action, which is what you're talking about. Instead, use the mosfet or other electronic type switch in parallel (assuming you have solerniods for the normal on/off action).