Fixing a Rpi screen driver

Robin_W

Joined Mar 31, 2022
Hey all, I'm new on this forum so but i think i'm in the right place.
I need some help, what you're looking at is the breadboard of an 10" raspberry pi touch screen (link at bottom of post). I up the wiring and i put 12V on it so it got toasted.

I'm already getting a new product but since the screen is still good and i suspect the rest of the board aswell i want to try to replace the broken components. Whenever i power it on the chip in the picture gets extremly hot so my guess is this is the broken component. I have the tools to replace a chip like this but i can't seem to find a new chip online. The number on the chip is S35EaFA.

So i have a few questions;

- Is it possible to replace this chip and give it a second life, If so, can someone help trying to find the chip?

- If the board is broken is it possible to get a board that would function with this screen? If yes what would be a good replacement?

I have included a full picture of the board front and back, and a detailed view of the component that heats up.

Thanks in advance!

Link to the screen:

https://www.amazon.nl/-/en/dp/B098762GVK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2X1EDEGSWRR0I&keywords=hmtech+10,1+inch+raspberry+pi+screen&qid=1648727387&sprefix=hmtech+10.1+inch+raspberry+pi+screen,aps,157&sr=8-5

Back.jpgBreadboard.jpgchip.jpg

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Finding a board that will drive an LVDS display seems possible. That would be far better than nothing. You could use it for applications that don't need a touchscreen. Or possibly there's a separate touchscreen controller available.
But, I haven't looked into this stuff very much because it's possible to buy an entire tablet for less than a screen costs.

Robin_W

Joined Mar 31, 2022
Finding a board that will drive an LVDS display seems possible. That would be far better than nothing. You could use it for applications that don't need a touchscreen. Or possibly there's a separate touchscreen controller available.
But, I haven't looked into this stuff very much because it's possible to buy an entire tablet for less than a screen costs.
Thanks for the reply!
A new board seems to be the easiest sollution but since a new board is already on its way I'm going to do this as a little project on the side, I think i can learn something from it. It'll be a challenge since i'm more of a Mechanical guy but we'll see. I have all the tools so should be fun. I got a response from a reddit user explaining how I can check the rest of the components (I'll link the post) so thats what I'll do. the board is only 2 layers so there are no hidden circuits is seems.
Any tips that could help would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricalEngineering/comments/tsy513/_/i2xhc4c

Robin_W

Joined Mar 31, 2022
Welcome to AAC.

That part is probably a boost convertor, quite possibly pin compatible with this TI part. It is impossible to follow the traces in the photo because of the black solder mask, but you could try to match it up.

Thanks this helps! When I get my hand on the board I'll see what I can find.
Since the board is non functional and would be thrown away anyhow I can take some risk replacing parts. Just using process of elimination. I'm only doing this to learn something from it so I'll try to get the most out of it!

Thanks agian for the help!