fixing a dish washer machine ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am curious if anybody has experience with dish washer repairs.

My problem is not electrical since I have tested and the device turns on and all the connections are good.

My problem is that when I wash the dishes the dish washing machine does not drain the water out completely? What has to be fix / replace and where can I get it?

I installed this dishwasher about 10 years ago and if I remember correctly what I had to do to install it was simplely
1) wire up the electrical black on black , white on white ,...etc
2) connect the hot water line to the dish washer
3) connect the plastic drain pipe from the dishwasher to the garbage disposal drain.

If the electrical is good , the hot water line is good , and the drain pipe is not clogged.
Then what could it be. Is their some type of internal sump pump that is not working that needs replacement...

That is my reasoning
Anybody with more knowledge feel free to share.

sgb5

Joined Sep 6, 2009
There is a solenoid that opens and closes a door on the impeller. The solenoid is probably at fault. Should be less than $20.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I have no specific advice other than you should go to the library and look for books on appliance repair. I've collected a number of them over the last 40 years and some of them can really help you fix an appliance. My wife and I have fixed all of our appliances multiple times and these books virtually always help. It was great when Sears sold manuals for their stuff; we kept my wife's washer working for 30-35 years (she got it when the oldest daughter was born 40+ years ago).

Sometimes all you need is a rough indication of how something works or what kind of parts are there. The Reader's Digest "Fix It Yourself" manual is pretty good for that.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Thanks for the tip

There is a solenoid that opens and closes a door on the impeller. The solenoid is probably at fault. Should be less than $20.
If the solenoid is the problem then where would I get a new one?
Could you get one from a local store like sears or home depot. Or must you order online from a manufacturer.

sgb5

Joined Sep 6, 2009
Locally, we have an appliance repair store that sells a large variety of parts for many makes and models of appliances. Perhaps asking a local repair service where they obtain parts. I don't believe Home Depot sells specific parts like this. At least my local HD does not. The local shop I use has multiple locations in the U.S. Take a look at www.marcone.com for a location close to you.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I will probably just order online wondering for the part I need when I find out what the exact cause is. Just was wondering if any local stores like home depot or lowes would have it guess not. Thanks for the info.

Question
In my case what would typically need to be replaced? Since the water is mostly draining would it most likely be as simple as cleaning out the pipes. Or would it most likely entail
replacing a motor / impeller or solenoid

Just curious if anybody out their has repaired enough of them to predict what most likely must be done?
(i,e parts needed if any)

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Most Dish washers ive worked on have a seperate drain pump like in the pics. On the inlet side on this one there is a non return flap. Check first if the pump is running at all, then check the flow from the outlet. The non return valve may be faulty causing the pump to get air locks, as these pump are not self priming. Also check that the pump impeller isnt jamed with crud. Or the obvious pipes partly blocked. Rather than guesing whats wrong you need to get in & have a look, before ordering posibly un necesary parts.

Attachments

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Most Dish washers ive worked on have a seperate drain pump like in the pics. On the inlet side on this one there is a non return flap. Check first if the pump is running at all, then check the flow from the outlet. The non return valve may be faulty causing the pump to get air locks, as these pump are not self priming. Also check that the pump impeller isnt jamed with crud. Or the obvious pipes partly blocked. Rather than guesing whats wrong you need to get in & have a look, before ordering posibly un necesary parts.
most have an inlet screen as well that requires cleaning. Your problem sounds like a blockage in the drain/pump/inlet screen, clean it out.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , I am going to disassembly it tonight and take a look at it.
If it is just clogged and needs cleaning is their any thing special I will need to do this.
Other then my hands and some water , maybe a spunch ...
As I am not sure if it is an involved process to clean out the pump/tubing.

I know if somethings broken I will order the parts but if it just needs a cleaning then can I do this with limited tools.