First post. LM3914 questions

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You could also get by with a 7810 fixed regulator if you can find one.

I'm surprised that your local RS doesn't stock an LM317T; it's one of the few regulators that many of them do carry.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If they carry a 7805:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062599

you could use that with a pot between the ground pin and GND to build a somewhat adjustable supply.
The 78xx series regulators are vaguely similar to the LM317, except they have R1/R2 built in. The GND pin has a nominal 5mA current flowing out of it to provide regulation.

E=IR, or Voltage = Current in Amperes * Resistance in Ohms.
We know the current flowing out of the GND terminal is about 5mA, and that the nominal output voltage of the regulator is 5v; we want to increase the output voltage another 5v.
So, 5v = 5mA times what resistance?
Re-write the formula to isolate R:
R=E/I
R=5v/5mA = 5/0.005 = 1000 Ohms.

Note that this value is approximate, as the current from the ground pin may vary somewhat. Using a 1k trim pot in series with a 470 Ohm or 510 Ohm fixed resistor would give you a pretty good range of adjustment.

Also, an additional 5mA current from the OUT terminal is required to ensure proper regulation. You could use a simple 1k Ohm fixed resistor across 10v to get 10mA current from the output to ground, which would be more than enough.

protomor

Joined Dec 23, 2008
Sweet, got it working! I used a 100k pot for the flex sensor. Your diagram had it backwards (going down as you bent it). I feel like I understand whats going on. The voltage regulator seems to be a standard if I ever do anything with a car again.

Maybe I'll move onto that memsic 2125 chip lol.