Finally up on Windows 7

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
My controller chip got damaged only because of Vista,after that I almost changed everything of my computer.Now its XP,its the best OS (I dont have to tell it),as apart of electronic and system level programming ,I also program applications and one of them is 3D games (not professionally) ,now many of you will know that 3D games is just a simulation software (using real time animation) because of this its hardware requirements are too high for both the development platform and the runtime platform, a lot depends on the OS as well and for me XP is one of the best development platform you can have.

After what Vista did I didnt try Windows7 but hearing a lot about it,so I am planning to assemble a new set and transfer all my stuff to it and install Windows 7 on this current PC,hope this time Windows7 dont show up like Vista(the killer OS).

If anybody wants to check that, your current hardware will support Windows7 or not download this Windows7 Upgrade Advisor from microsoft's website and run it.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

Good Luck

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Older versions of Windows managed to do the same with much less memory. Windows 98 ran fine with 256 Meg.
I just tried the openoffice wordprocessor in Ubuntu and total memory used was 280 Meg (including swap). I don't see why windows needs nearly 10 times as much.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My theory is laziness in programming.

We are supposed to throw our old but functional hardware away because Microsoft wants to make a buck.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Interesting, i just realized that with only microsoft word open i use approximatley 2.3 gig of ram...
As per me its because of the display,it use aero user interface as per microsoft,same problem I faced in vista also for video that time it was a bit different.

Try changing video settings,it may help

Good Luck

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
In my PC, on Win 7 Professional, a blank document of Office Word 2007 needs 21MB of RAM.

Magnet18's document must have had a ton of pictures and that memory demand must have been shifted on the system's virtual memory. There's no way a system would give Word 2.3GB of RAM and still operate.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
It wasn't all word, i just re-started my computer and looked at after it fully booted up, doing nothing else it was using 1.8 gig, no programs but task manager, word mustve been 500meg of that still not cool

Ill have to take care of this eventually, but it doesn't bother me any right now as i said i have 4 gig at my disposal.

I usually have expressSCH/expressPCB or both open, this site, one music streaming site, and at least 10-15 other assorted tabs, and every now word ond or excell on top of this, and I've never had any problems with speed or my streaming, so it doesn't bother me any.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Are you sure you don't have a s**tload of processes that run on the background? You can see them on the "processes" tab of the task manager and sort them by their demand of RAM. They are quite frequent on laptops in the form of power managers, synaptic pad managers and bluetooth managers.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Yea, i think thats what it is, i just have no reason to find them and mess with them right now...
Which is why i like having a lot of ram :)

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I run XP on my machines which I play games on or require specific applications. Currently, two computers: a media PC (for playing games, watching movies and browsing the net), and a gaming PC built from spares. I run Ubuntu on my laptop (a modestly spec'd computer, 2 GHz Core 2 Duo / 2 MB L2, 3GB RAM, ATI graphics), and Ubuntu on my desktops (mostly spare Pentium III 1 GHz machines, with 256-512 MB RAM.) Ubuntu 10.10 will run in 256MB of RAM with no swap, but it does struggle (opening more than 3 applications usually pushes it over the edge); 384 MB is probably the minimum, which is pretty good. I run it on 512 MB, and I use it to rarely browse the net and for its TV card. I like Ubuntu, I don't mind XP (when it works), I hate Vista (with a passion), and 7 is something I might try, but I'm not really bothered about it.