Finally up on Windows 7

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I was a big hold out for a long time. I did not want to let go of my XP.

Well I had customers screaming for 64bit apps of software I write so I had to join the 21st century and get rid of XP.

I bought a new 750G hard drive so still have plenty of space for XP and what ever other OSs I might want to install.

Now it is on to installing all of that software. :(

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Vista's the reason I'm now using Ubuntu.
I had to turn off updates on vista because every time it updated it wouldn't boot and I had to do a system restore. Obviously that made it even less secure than it already was.
Eiffel tower!!!

(I've heard Windows 7 is better than Vista but I didn't really want to shell out hard earned cash to find out)

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
If it was possible, id be running Millennium Edition!
From what i can tell messing around on my grandmas computer, that was a good OS

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
If it was possible, id be running Millennium Edition!
From what i can tell messing around on my grandmas computer, that was a good OS
NOOOO!!! Don't mention that OS ever again! I swear it was worse than Vista. The BSODs where an everyday phenomenon on them. Try installing a driver or playing a ram-using game and you 'll regret it.

Windows 7 is nothing like Vista. Stable as nothing else (Windows based) and problem-free. I also like the fact that it automatically installs any drivers needed for your devices through the internet.
They are still pretty expensive, guess I 'm glad my Uni has an academic licence for 3 separate Windows 7 professional keys. Per student.
Of course, there are *cough* other ways to get your hands on them.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
XP would work with all hardware, it will even find the drivers for you. Windows 7 and Vista both have "minimum" standards. The computer I'm currently using started with Windows 98SE, and upgraded to XP. It is fast and powerful enough for what I use it for, especially since I gave up gaming. I'll pass.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
The computer I'm currently using started with Windows 98SE, and upgraded to XP. It is fast and powerful enough for what I use it for, especially since I gave up gaming. I'll pass.
WOW, have you ever replaced the motherboard?
I didn't they could handle more than a gig of ram back then max

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
How many gig do you think people need?

Word processors were good for the C128. I occasionally run into problems with large graphics files, ones over 32 Megs, but it is manageable. I only upgraded to XP because I wanted a large hard drive (currently 500 Gigs). 1 Gig of RAM is holding up well, as is the 1.8Gig processor. Basically it fits each and every one of my needs. I suppose if a HAL comes out I will upgrade, but until then...

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
How many gig do you think people need?
I currently have 4, and couldn't fathom running on less than 2 an minimum, then again, I download approximately a gig of internet a day (mostly from listening to music), and vista eats up the ram horribly, I used to be using a full gig with just background applications till I claimed ownership and manually deleted them. :)

Word processors were good for the C128. I occasionally run into problems with large graphics files, ones over 32 Megs, but it is manageable. I only upgraded to XP because I wanted a large hard drive (currently 500 Gigs). 1 Gig of RAM is holding up well, as is the 1.8Gig processor. Basically it fits each and every one of my needs. I suppose if a HAL comes out I will upgrade, but until then...
1.8 GHz? is that single or dual core, I have a 3GHz dual, but i could probably get buy on less...

I love my laptop :D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Try single core, Athlon. My lappie is a 500Mhz 98SE Dell computer. XP will do .png on M/S Paint, which I miss. I'm thinking of getting a $240 netbook, but probably won't.

Other than software development, what do you need with a power house computer? What applications really require it?

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I don't have a powerhouse computer, i have a computer that is a nice 3 year old investment that should be able to get me through the next 5 years and out of college
(don't know if i was clear, my laptop is my ONLY computer)

If you want to talk about a person with a powerful computer, a friend of mine has 8 gigs, quad core, and is constantly upgrading.

He games though

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
didnt the ceo of ibm say there was a world marked for like 12 computers or something?
Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM in 1943, stated, "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

It probably was true in 1943 as it took an army to keep the 30 ton computer up and running. To reduce the time to repair five people used roller skates to scoot down the racks to replace the most recently defective vacuum tubes.

Avalability became the watchword. Programs couldn't be run or had to be re-run if the device was down.

on edit ...

I found this at
http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.c...-see-a-world-market-for-about-five-computers/

Thomas J. Watson Jr. of I.B.M. is said to have opined in 1943 that, “I think there is a world market for about five computers.”

The Yale Book of Quotations quotes an I.B.M. source that this “… is a misunderstanding of remarks made at I.B.M.’s annual stockholders meeting on April 28, 1953. In referring specifically and only to the I.B.M. 701 Electronic Data Processing Machine … Thomas Watson, Jr., told stockholders that ‘I.B.M. had developed a paper plan for such a machine and took this paper plan across the country to some 20 concerns that we thought could use such a machine. … As a result of our trip, on which we expected to get orders for five machines, we came home with orders for 18.’”

Last edited: