Film at 11:00

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If you know what this means, you are almost certainly eligible for a senior discount.

The phrase got me thinking about things that were pervasive as I grew up and aged that completely vanished and would no longer mean anything to younger people. For example:

• Check your answering machine.
  • The fax machine is out of paper. (almost, some would know)
  • Be kind, rewind.
  • I can’t find a pay phone anywhere. (a currently valid sentiment almost in the category, some would probably know).
  • Ring twice, then hang up.
  • I sent in the reader service card.

&c…

Do you have any examples? So much of what was the background of daily life vaporized. I am not nostalgic about these things, I am happy with the march of technological progress but it is a curious thing to recall what vanished.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
● Send in the warranty service card

● Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope

● Batteries not included

● Deposit 65 cents for two more minutes

● I'd like to make a collect call

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
Super 8

My son saw the movie and thought the title alluded to the number of kids or something about the alien in the movie. I had to explain what Super 8 actually was!

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Writing personal letters. In my first long voyage (6 months) I wrote 33 to her, only. Only one never reached destinatary. (BTW, it took her just 31 years to throw me out of the window).

Taking astronomical fixes (mostly stars but also planets or moon) to obtain our position at sea.
My record: 14 fixes (all valid) in the same twilight. Practice makes perfection.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Did you or have you used a sextant?
In M. Navy, for 16 years (even as a Master, had to carry all the two daily twilight observations, crossing from China to Argentina).

Had not a personal one (very expensive). In all vessels there were usually two (today, no idea). The first thing you did when signing on as 2nd mate, was to adjust the parallelism of mirror and determine the fixed error (applied to every reading of the vernier). It was quite common that Ch. Officer decided that "his" sextant would be not touched by anyone, just him.