fast horses

barrelracerdad

Joined Jan 29, 2010
BMorse-Recieved the parts and equipment today, very nice job!:) I am waiting for my iron to heat up so I can put together a couple of leads for the timer. I may put in a quick connect pigtail set to permanently attach to the detector, so I can quickly switch timer types with a common plug (laptop to timer box to hacked stopwatch) Maybe a lead for the RF wireless transmission set:D! (I have found a cheap reciever/transmitter pair, just need to get them and figure out the connection schematic!) Thanks so much again Jon

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Have not heard from you to see how things are going.... How's everything working out? Just Curious....

On a side note, I have been putting together a 4 digit 7 segment counter / timer module based on a pic microcontroller...... it has the ability to count up to 9999 in counter mode and 99.99 / 999.9 secs in timer mode.... Finishing up the code for it right now and throwing together a point to point soldered circuit board to try it out.... I was thinking of just integrating something like this into the trigger, and possibly make some changes to the trigger unit to be able to work with High intensity infrared LED's..... just thought I would mention that in case in the future you want to delve into something other than just electronics.... there is so much you can do with a microcontroller, definitely makes it easy in a way to create things with less components...

B. Morse

barrelracerdad

Joined Jan 29, 2010
:)Things here are going good, how is your timer curcuit working out? I need to purchase another timer kit to build, are there any other kit alternatives to hobbyengineerings (kitsRus) kits? Their kit was quite easy to build and the printed curcuit board seemed to be of good quality (I did have to solder across two of the points where there was no continuity, but it may have been my fault) and it was 25 bucks (good or bad?) the only problem with that kit was I have to purchase the firmware for the stopwatch separately (if it came with the kit instead of the countdown timer it would be considerably cheaper) So if anyone knows of a high quality stopwatch kit (must have external inputs and large LED display) let me know. (I think I fried the firmware chip for my stopwatch, cause the LED display does weird things now with that chip in place)

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
:)Things here are going good, how is your timer curcuit working out? I need to purchase another timer kit to build, are there any other kit alternatives to hobbyengineerings (kitsRus) kits? Their kit was quite easy to build and the printed curcuit board seemed to be of good quality (I did have to solder across two of the points where there was no continuity, but it may have been my fault) and it was 25 bucks (good or bad?) the only problem with that kit was I have to purchase the firmware for the stopwatch separately (if it came with the kit instead of the countdown timer it would be considerably cheaper) So if anyone knows of a high quality stopwatch kit (must have external inputs and large LED display) let me know.

can't think of any kits off of the top of my head, but you can allways get this from velleman kits, it is a stop watch, but I am sure you can "hack" it to add a connection to the trigger for the start/stop function, might be good for those short practice runs...

http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/view/?id=351138#

(I think I fried the firmware chip for my stopwatch, cause the LED display does weird things now with that chip in place)
How did you do that?

As for my timer module.... it is coming along... fine tuning the code for it right as we speak... I just did a quick and dirty point to point solder board for it... once I get the design fine tuned a bit, I will run a few circuit boards off of my CNC...

pic16f628a 4 digit counter.jpg

pic16f628a 4 digit counter.png
B. Morse

Last edited:

barrelracerdad

Joined Jan 29, 2010
After I had the unit assembled I had a couple of segments in the LED that wouldn't work properly. So I started testing for a drysolder connection (thats what the hobbyengineering guy called it) I went through and reheated all the connections on the PCB and made sure I had good connections Then I put the chip back in and it still didn't work, so I started trying to short across points to find what wasn't working (It was a printed curcuit that wasn't making contact at a push through connection) so i soldered that point with a jumpwire (nice and straight point to point) and Then the LED was doing really weird things (probably should have pulled the chip before attempting repair?) So I concluded arcing random point on the back of a curcuit board is BAD:rolleyes:. But when I reinstalled the countdown timer chip it worked perfectly, so the stopwatch chip is toast!Who Knew?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
So how do you write code for these things, thats awesome. The stopwatch kit is super simple too, looks just like your timer schematic. Nice job.

Well for this particular circuit, I programmed it in assembly language, it comes free with Microchip's MPLAB IDE.... I also have their full version of their C language, but for these things I like bit banging in assembly......

I tried to design my timer/counter with minimal components and as much functionality as possible.... the PIC actually only has one Digit on at a time, but it switches so quick you would think all 4 are on at the same time (basically it is a Persistence Of Vision display, where it takes advantage of a flaw in the human eyes)... I am also going to add some LED indicators to show current mode selected and other indicators (not sure yet on what else I want it to indicate!!):rolleyes:

Right now I am almost done with the code, maybe some more improvements, but right now I am trying to figure out why it is a few hundredth of a second of on its timing.

well have to get back to work, have to finish my AC Trash Compactor today and get the frame painted.....

B. Morse

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Finally done fiddling around with the timer code.... It is capable of 2 timer modes, one that can do 99.99 secs, and one for 999.9 secs.... and an up down counter mode also.... but that's all it does right now, nothing fancy, just standard Start, Pause, Stop, and Reset functions for the timers and Count Up, Count Down or Reset counts for the counter mode....

How are things going with your project?

B. Morse

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
My project is doing fine,I go to the lady that has been working at
the track for twenty years.She tell me which horses she has picked
for a dollar to win.She take her winnings for picking two in row at a
dollar each,I'm sure It must have a name. She tells guys you bet
against me again,I told you. She either picks the horse,jockey or trainer.

barrelracerdad

Joined Jan 29, 2010
BMorse, The weather has been so nice I haven't taken the time to work inside on electronic parts for a few days. But I did get to set the timer unit up to run the horses through it, works like a charm. Did you set your CNC up to cut curcuit boards for your timer unit yet? I guess the hardest part of the timer unit is the microcontroller. I hate that the kit I put together doesn't sell the stopwatch MC with it (15 bucks for MC firmware for stopwatch) but its not so bad. My daughter is just learning how to solder a push through connection, a little more practice and I will start her on a new kit for her project. Thanks again for all your help. :)

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Same here BarrelRacer, I have been busy doing some of my "Honey do" list, I am in the midst of finishing up my new wood flooring in the kitchen and getting some of the landscaping done..... I did get the timer code done, just have to find some time this weekend (hopefully) to run a few circuit boards..... Good to here your project is making progress and working.... I will keep you posted on the timer circuit...

B. Morse