Falcon Heavy

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
That is breathtaking. Elon Musk has his detractors and deserves some, but what a coup and what a way to fire the imaginations of kids (and adults!) to get into the sciences. +1E(a bunch). One newscast pointed out that this was done by a lot of 20-something engineers and scientists and noted that the torch has been passed to them from the other 20-something engineers and scientists who fired our imaginations in the original space-race. Fantastic!

Thanks for the vid @nsaspook Good stuff

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Since the majority of the weight of the rocket is the fuel, it's actually pretty light coming back down and since they are using the same engines that could lift and accelerate the rocket and it's share of the payload with full fuel, they have power to spare so it only takes a pretty short burn and relatively little fuel. I've looked before trying to find out how much of the total fuel load has to be reserved for recovery, but haven't been able to track down the number.

The penalty that they are paying for the reusability is having to have rockets that are bigger than they would otherwise need to be in order to carry the extra fuel (and the extra weight of the extra cubage associate with it). I don't know how much more powerful the rocket engines needed to be.
I just watched the landing from the distant cameras and it really shows how rapidly it decelerates. As near as I can tell, the total burn time for the landing burn was about 12 seconds.