Fake citations

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Currently in AAC possibility to make fake citation is exist.
Example see HERE.
It will be useful to change AAC script for ability to automatically
checking citation(s) for conformity to source text before of sending post.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Do you have an example of a forum where what you suggest is implemented? AFAIK this is how all forums work. I used to think of it as a problem in need of a solution but after giving it some thought I couldn't come up with anything. And then I questioned if it actually deserves a solution. Do we have a solution for when people do this with pen and paper? I think since the birth of written language (and even spoken language) the solution to the problem of intentional misquoting (lying) has been punishment of the offender. And that seems just as relevant here. The quote you linked to is unacceptable and the offender should be permanently banned. We do not need that kind of trash here.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It sounds like You are wanting a Computer to do your due-diligence and research for You.

My suggestion is to retain a certain level of doubt,
regardless of the "supposed infallibility" of the source of the information,
until the information is overwhelmingly proven, demonstrated,
and put into common usage,
as a valuable piece of information.

Nothing in this World is EXACTLY what it is portrayed to be,
it is your own responsibility to verify the accuracy of any information that You may deem important.

Never assume anything when the consequences of being incorrect
may be unduly expensive, or life-threatening in some way.

There is NO EASY WAY OUT.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It sounds like You are wanting a Computer to do your due-diligence and research for You.

My suggestion is to retain a certain level of doubt,
regardless of the "supposed infallibility" of the source of the information,
until the information is overwhelmingly proven, demonstrated,
and put into common usage,
as a valuable piece of information.

Nothing in this World is EXACTLY what it is portrayed to be,
it is your own responsibility to verify the accuracy of any information that You may deem important.

Never assume anything when the consequences of being incorrect
may be unduly expensive, or life-threatening in some way.

There is NO EASY WAY OUT.
You misunderstand him. Easy mistake since you can't see what he linked to. For some strange reason when he posted this I took a screenshot of it. Obviously he didn't say these things about himself:

20220720_155719.jpg

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I don't get it .........
Is he calling a questionably off-color, one-liner-joke, a "fake-citation" ?????????
No, that user was trying to get other members to agree with his outlandish ideas. Ideas that had to do with the rewriting of proven physics. When he couldn't get his way he resorted to name calling and changing quotes. A pure troll

Last edited:

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
I have seen this problem on other forums where trolling is rampant. It is effective at making people believe someone said something they did not.

Solutions include

- Disabling or limiting your account name from being quoted directly, similar code is already in effect when you search for posts or enter a users name on AAC

- A direct link to the quoted post in the original thread, if this does not exist then a quote cannot be posted

- Notifications when you are quoted.

- A better reputation system, likes are great but I would have clicked the dislike button quite a few times as well!

Easy solutions to a silly problem..

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
There will always be Idiots and Looosers,
and people who make fools of themselves by instantly jumping to conclusions.

Personal remarks, combined with clueless use of the English Language, is an instant Red-Flag .

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
IF you are using the Quote or Reply option on a thread, the text is editable to make it anything you want the person being quoted or replied to say. Is that the issue? Those should NOT be editable other than selecting what was previously posted that is being quoted or replied to.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
Then again, if I DID want to call you all idiots with plausible deniability…
Well that's not what you said before.

djsfantasi said:
To be completely honest I idolize each and every one of you. And hey I may not be as smart as you guys but I can most definitely appreciate genius when I see it. To quote Sir Isaac Newton: "If I have seen further it was only because I was wearing high heels".
(Okay I may have paraphrased just a bit.)

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
You guys are trivializing a serious issue. In "real life" this kind of behavior carries penalties and destroys lives.

For those with assets or reputation at stake, I would like to see some kind of reform here. I would think engineers, scientists and hobbyists would have better things to do but I guess not.

I had a person defraud me and one method was fabrication of evidence . Very upsetting indeed. Changing someone's quotes is realistically the same thing if the purpose is to discredit or extort.

The problem is anonymity so the solution must be proactive. It's a job for the administrators.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
You guys are trivializing a serious issue. In "real life" this kind of behavior carries penalties and destroys lives.

For those with assets or reputation at stake, I would like to see some kind of reform here. I would think engineers, scientists and hobbyists would have better things to do but I guess not.

I had a person defraud me and one method was fabrication of evidence . Very upsetting indeed. Changing someone's quotes is realistically the same thing if the purpose is to discredit or extort.

The problem is anonymity so the solution must be proactive. It's a job for the administrators.
All joking aside. For the most part I do agree. I don't quite believe that the issue is as serious as you seem to think. But yes it would be a great feature. On the other hand someone has to write the code to fix it. And do bear in mind that many forum admins have little to no control over their CMS. So that may or may not necessarily be an easy task. It just depends on how the site is administered and whatnot.