Extremely Low Resistor Values?

rc3po

Joined Feb 12, 2014
They are most likely not "power" resistors. They are more than likely current sense resistors. But without a schematic and datasheets it is only a guess.

Good luck with reverse engineering a product that you know nothing about.
Lol!
You guys crack me up sometimes.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Lol!
You guys crack me up sometimes.
You seems to be the know it all, so what is the purpose of said resistors on the unknown board?

And why are you responding to this thread anyway?

Why am I responding to such a ridiculous response is the better question.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Okay, but why would a microprocessor use several low value external resistors? Why not make them internal to the processor IC? Is it to dissipate heat since they are such low values?
I think you should take your precisionLCR meter and measure ALL of the components around the micro and then trace them all the way through all the other components to ground or to the power supply rails. Then convert those pathways into a circuit that you can draw.

If you don't know the details of a component, draw a sketch of the component in 3D perspective. Then, when you have the circuit complete, put the drawing under your pillow and sleep on it. By the next morning you will know exactly what to do with the board.

AfdhalAtiffTan

Joined Nov 20, 2010
What makes it so hard just to snap a picture and then upload it to here?

Asking such question is like asking what is the purpose of resistors. There's a lot of course, depending on application.

For low-value ones, it could serve as jumpers sometime, maybe for low-pass supply filter, who knows what. With smd, it could go elsewhere.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Again, I can't provide any details. Sorry. There are no markings. Even if they did have markings, they are so tiny that you wouldn't be able to read them without a microscope. They have all been removed from the board and measured using an LCR meter. I already know the values. I'm just curious as to what the purpose is, in general, for such low value resistors in a microprocessor application.
How many times and how many ways does it need to be said? We don't know! The could be numerous reasons they were used. You are asking us to peer into a crystal ball to tell you why someone used certain components in a circuit you won't give us any information about.

mossman

Joined Aug 26, 2010
How many times and how many ways does it need to be said? We don't know! The could be numerous reasons they were used. You are asking us to peer into a crystal ball to tell you why someone used certain components in a circuit you won't give us any information about.
I'm not asking what the purpose of the resistors is for my particular board, I am asking IN GENERAL what low value resistors are typically used for.

Low value resistors can be used to help eliminate ground loops, "fuses", short circuit protection, and even power supply decoupling.
This is the kind of reply I was looking for. Thanks.

and even power supply decoupling.
?

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Again, I can't provide any details. Sorry. There are no markings. Even if they did have markings, they are so tiny that you wouldn't be able to read them without a microscope. They have all been removed from the board and measured using an LCR meter. I already know the values. I'm just curious as to what the purpose is, in general, for such low value resistors in a microprocessor application.

>No markings
>Measured low resistance value

Are you sure you didnt just measure the resistance of your leads?
Maybe they are just 0 ohm 'jumper' resistors.

rc3po

Joined Feb 12, 2014
You seems to be the know it all, so what is the purpose of said resistors on the unknown board?

And why are you responding to this thread anyway?

Why am I responding to such a ridiculous response is the better question.
You misunderstood me, I wasn't laughing at you. I was laughing at the obvious - "Good luck reverse engineering something you know nothing about".
And I haven't tried to pretend anything, I admitted that I've only been learning electronics for 1 year from the beginning. Why are you such a jerk?

Last edited: