Extremely Compact Battery Powered DC Motors: What's Possible?

ldavis7

Joined Aug 11, 2017
Hi,

I'm very inexperienced with building electronics etc. but have a project I'd like to pursue that includes battery powered motors and this forum seems like a good place to begin my research.

Essentially, I'd like to figure out if I can somehow purchase and/or construct a very tiny dc motor (around the size of a few coins stacked on top of each other). I've been experimenting with painting my face lately and am very inspired by artists like Ryan Burke who will glue miscellaneous jewels and geometric shapes to their faces. The idea I had was to attach various gears or jewelry to tiny motors and then glue them to my face. As a result, I'd have a face full of moving parts. Trust me, I know this idea sounds bizarre and absurd and probably isn't the type of thing people usually discuss on this site, but this is just the kind of stuff I like to do.

I would need the batteries for the motors to be very small so they could sit right underneath them; I'm thinking something similar to a watch battery. I know that such a small battery will not be powerful enough to make a DC motor move very quickly, but that's ok--I want them to be moving very slowly. They don't need to have much power either as whatever I decide to attach to them will be very lightweight. The main thing is the combined battery and motor need to be fairly thin so they don't protrude from my face too much.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this subject. I'm going to continue doing research, but it's hard to know exactly what to google sometimes.

Thanks so much for any help.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
I want them to be moving very slowly.
Even tiny motors, such as those used as a vibration source or in miniature drones, will try to rotate at high rates, so reduction gearing would probably be needed. That is going to add unwanted weight and size :( .