Extend wire on AC adapter

pctechtv

Joined Aug 10, 2016
I have a bunch of AC adapters for my video cameras. They were bought as replacements for not having the original charger. The chargers work great. The only problem is that the cord length is only three feet. I want to cut these cords in the center and make them longer.
How long can I extend them without messing up the power output? I thought if I could make them nine feet that would be perfect. However, 15 would be super. Would that be too long? Thanks

Picture 3 of 3

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You can make it as long as you want but the longer the cable the lower the voltage at the load. If we knew how long you want to make it, how much current the load takes, the output voltage of the adapter and the minimum acceptable voltage at the load, we can tell you what size wire you need to use.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You can try extending it to the length you desire and if everything works (voltage at the load is not too low) you're good to go, otherwise you would need to shorten the cable.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Given that we have no information about the current supplied by that adapter, nor the voltage required by the video camera, recommending a wire size based on the voltage drop that would be acceptable will be a guess.
Do you have any information about the claimed output of the power supplies?? And what are the power requirements of the video cameras??

pctechtv

Joined Aug 10, 2016
Given that we have no information about the current supplied by that adapter, nor the voltage required by the video camera, recommending a wire size based on the voltage drop that would be acceptable will be a guess.
Do you have any information about the claimed output of the power supplies?? And what are the power requirements of the video cameras??
Hi, I am so sorry, I goofed. I thought that I was sending the exact power requirements. I should have included a picture of the actual power plug. Instead, I use the picture from the page I bought it from. I did not pay attention and notice that the sticker was incomplete. Here is a picture of the actual power it gives with the amperage. Here is also a picture of the camera with the hole for the adapter. Sorry about that. Thanks so much.

index-1.jpgindex2.jpg

pctechtv

Joined Aug 10, 2016
Or you could use a common DC coaxial extension cord.
Hi, thanks for the reply. Would it be easy to find the same size plug for this adapter to extend it? If so could you send me a link to where I will acquire this type of extender? Thanks for any help.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
You don't need to purchase a plug. The extension cable will be fitted between the cable on the 5 volt adaptor and the existing plug.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Would it be easy to find the same size plug for this adapter to extend it? If so could you send me a link to where I will acquire this type of extender?
You would need to measure the diameter of the plug to get the right size.
Amazon should have one of those.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Here is an extension cable for a 5.1mm barrel connector cable. You’d have to measure your jack to get the correct size.

956C9325-E204-4153-988F-3AE91EE49838.png

Notice it is a male to female adapter. The link is for a 10’ extension. If this one doesn’t work, it’s pretty easy to find one that will!