experienced tutor in New York City

mjos

Joined Mar 10, 2004
I'm sitting here in New York City, my career as a documentary producer on hold while I wait for a broken leg to mend (It's a long story), so I figured I'd try to use this time productively to pursue a hair-brained idea I had for an electronic gadget/children's toy. My knowledge of electronics is minimal - Radio Shack, Electronics lab Book one. I'm looking for someone in NYC who can counsel me on matters such as designing parallel circuits and choosing the proper toggle switch. If that person had a background in product design, that would be a definite plus. I would be happy to pay for tutoring sessions.

I should add that although I am a novice at electronics, I love to tinker and hold two patents for photo frames that I designed.

If you know anyone who might be interested in helping out, please let me know.

thanks

Harlan

Joined Feb 26, 2004
hello Mjos:
I can not help with actual tutors in NY since I am stuck in Colorado, but I had an idea that may be helpful. Try contacting your local community college and the universities that offer general science/electricity and talk to the instructors there. They usually will post job offers like this opportunity to the class. THere are many bright students out there needing a few extra bucks to get through school and would be delighted to do tutoring. I know, that was me many eons ago. Just a thought!
Harlan :)

Harlan

Joined Feb 26, 2004
Welcome to the forum MJOS!
You can also post here with questions and also look at the turorials that are on this site. There is a wealth of good information for you to browse through. Good luck too.
Harlan :)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Here in the UK we have free papers that contain adverts for personal tutors etc. I'm not sure what you have wherever you come from but I'm sure you could look for one of these.

You'll also be able to assess prices against each other.

Harlan

Joined Feb 26, 2004
I am chuckling here as I say this, but yes Dave, See, umm the UK, well its more advanced than the good ol USA LOL
I hadnt thought of that though but in the paper maybe a few listing there he can look at. Very good point there!!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by MARTIN SOUND@Mar 15 2004, 09:57 PM
YOU COULD BE TUTORED ONLINE RATHER LIKE THE OPEN UNIVERSITY,THUS ELIMINATING THE NEED FOR SOMEBODY LOCAL.
Good suggestion Martin. The best thing about the Open University is that it allows you to learn at your own pace. I noticed that here in the UK, the Open University made its first appearance in the university league tables at quite a high position. Certainly worth a thought.