Exhaust Actuator Cutoff

glister7887

Joined Aug 11, 2017
Hello, need help with my current project. My car has an exhaust valve actuator that controls the exhaust note on the vehicle by opening or closing this valve. The vehicle controls it automatically depending on the driving mode you select the vehicle: In Sport Mode the valve opens and has a sporty sound (but also affects other components of the car for more aggressive driving) and In Normal mode the valve closes for a quite ride. The actuator when unplugged stays in the open position giving the car a sporty sound regardless the driving mode selected, but on long drives you get tired of the drone and you wish you could quiet it down without having to get underneath the car to reconnect the plug.

I could make this fix easy by using a 3 pole switch that would toggle the 3 lines off or on. The problem starts when you start to try get fancy and do it via remote control, so I went in the internet and bought a dry contact remote control relay. This relay only allows me to interrupt one of the lines going into the actuator.

Will this single contact Relay work for me?
If so what line should I interrupt?
If I interrupt the negative and the car applies positive via the non interrupted lines, will this damage the Actuator motor?

This is what I measured
With the valve open
Line A: +13.8 V
Line B: - 10.0 V
Line C: - 13.8 V

I couldn't have a Volt read with the actuator valve closed since it only does it with the car running at certain rpms
But I assume it would be like this
Line A: -10.0V
Line B: +13.8V
Line C: - 13.8V
If someone differs on my thought please let me know.

Thanks!!

Attachments