EV Charging Testbed help

Cajmccormick

Joined Jan 24, 2018
Hi all,

I’m in my last year of electrical engineering technology, a 3 year advanced diploma in an Ontario, Canada college. I am currently working on a research project that is due in April and am just wondering if anyone has done anything remotely similar and would have any insight and or helpful sources/info.

For the project:

As the project is a little specific this is kind of a shot in the dark but here it goes. I am working on an EV Charger testbed that has been home made by other students from a nearby university. It is made up of many different components such as: NI data acquisition software (USB X series?), multiple relay boards for isolating certain components, multiple 300-1000VA transformers to simulate transmission line distance, resistors, inductor coil, grid tie inverter, as well as of course 2 different EV chargers (Xantrax and MOTOMASTER ELIMINATOR). These are all hooked up to a LabView program which has the ability to simulate many different situations including the distance from the substation to a home (charging point), different inductances etc. Shows THD, Voltages, Currents of the load, as well as charging time of each battery(as every component can be individually isolated).

I know it would be hard to pinpoint specific examples to give as the machine is pretty unique. But if there is anything anyone can think of that I can focus on and really dive into i would love some feedback. A few of the things I am currently going to touch on are the THD effects that different distances have on each of the chargers as well as charge times vs distances. Also the differences between the chargers and why one is better than the other.

If anyone has absolutely anything to say, please feel free, even if it is to tell me I’m already doing something wrong, as I have a limited understanding.

Thanks

Attachments