EPROM and Microprocessor - Data storage and processing

majoritical

Joined Nov 20, 2007
Hi all,

I am fairly new to practical electronics design and I'm working on designing a smart power supply.

I currently have the basic power supply circuit figured out, but I am currently working on the 'smartness'.

My main question is: How exactly can an EPROM chip be programmed, and how can the data stored on the chip be sent to a Microprocessor for processing immediately the EPROM is powered?

I intend storing voltage and current limit values on the programmed chip.

Practical answers would be really appreciated.

lightingman

Joined Apr 19, 2007
Hi,You would be better of doing it with a PIC microcontroler... They have everything on board that you would require (ADC, EEPROM, CPU and lot's more)...Daniel.

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
http://www.arduino.cc

It's inexpensive, has a free IDE, has several analog to digital channels and digital outputs.
It can easily talk to a PC via USB or you can get a bluetooth version that is wireless.

It uses the atmega168 microcontroller that has built in 16k program flash ram, ram and a small eeprom that's used to store configurations.

It was reasonably easy for me to read a voltage and based on that voltage cause a digital output to activate. I've also done several projects with various inputs and outputs. I'm currently using it with a solid state relay to drive some lights. ;)

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The IDE that mrmeval has referred to stands for "Integrated Development Environment". This is a fancy reference to the application software needed to program the ATMEGA168. The FREE IDE is available for download from WWW.ATMEL.COM. It is called AVRSTUDIO4. You can download it right now and try it out. If you are interested in C-language programming you can go to WWW.SOURCEFORGE.NET and download WINAVR. WINAVR is FREE also. WINAVR works in conjunction with AVRSTUDIO4 so you need to load AVRSTUDIO4 prior to loading WINAVR.

Have a look at the data sheet for the ATMEGA168 and you will see that is it has all of the features that mrmeval has indicated. This link takes you to the abridged version of the datasheet. You can find the unabridged version at ATMEL's website also.

hgmjr