Entanglement theory - Electronics?

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
I recently read that entanglement, something I thought still entirely theoretical, is being applied to quantum computers!

Does anyone know anything of this? How does it work? How do they control or generate entangled electrons?

Help me get a grip on reality again please! This is blowing my mind if it is true.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
If you have not already reviewed the material in Wikipedia on the subject of Quantum Entanglement Theory then here is a link.

hgmjr

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here's something from Science News (January 22, 2009):

In the Jan. 23 Science, a team is reporting what is the first successful transfer of a qubit — an undecided bit of quantum information — between two widely separated, charged atoms. Because the quantum information instantly hops from one atom to the other without ever crossing the space between the two, scientists call the transfer “teleportation.”
John

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
I just had a read and it appears that much is still shrouded in theory, i.e. locality and speed of transmission.

So if I am correct, entanglement is not at this time being considered for a communications stream faster than the speed of light?

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
So basically, they are just trying to use entanglement to increase the bandwidth of a qubit computing?

Anyone know of any logic gates etc.. where such entanglement may be helpful?

gregdevid

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Hi ,
It is often said that instantaneous signaling through quantum entanglement is impossible because of Eberhard’s theorem that basically says that since local measurements always produce random results no information can be sent through quantum entanglement alone (Eberhard, 1978). However, there are at least two ways to circumvent this impossibility. The first is to assume that the statistical distribution can be modified and utilized to transmit information. Quite a few authors have expressed this view especially when discussing the roles of consciousness in parapsychology such as telepathy. The second is to assume that each quantum entity can directly sense and utilize quantum entanglement as already mentioned before.

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
Assuming the latter of your responses true, i.e. my initial inquiry, I see no reason why the technology couldn't evolve rapidly. MRI, although still limited in resolution, measures the spin of nearly individual atoms. Therefore sensing the spin of individual atoms should be a possibility in the future.