EMF exposure

JustChaz

Joined Jan 31, 2020
Hello everyone. I had a question about EMF's. I've seen many intelligent and knowledgeable people here so I figured I could get an answer. I just wanted to know if something emits EMF's say in your home, would you be exposed to them in any way if you are out of range? Do EMF's accumulate and/or linger in the air/environment? Thank you in advance

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
I've seen many intelligent and knowledgeable people here so I figured I could get an answer.
Wow.. all in one day huh! EMF acronym for ElectroMagnetic Frequency.along with EMR ElectroMagnetic Radiation.
. I just wanted to know if something emits EMF's say in your home, would you be exposed to them in any way if you are out of range?
The answer is no, you would not be exposed to them only because you are out of range of your home. Your second question I am not qualified to answer, it is a very broad question and I can not break it down using analogies. I will defer to my superiors. or you can restate your second question without using the words accumulate or linger. Only because EMF's or EMR's are all around us everywhere we go.There are studies that they're very harmful to us they alter our genetic makeup depending on concentration and time exposed at the same time other studies are contradictory .the world is one big petri dish an ongoing experiment ,sum people are more susceptible to EMF's than others. I think you're asking for man-made electromagnetic frequencies emitted by cell phones TV radio etc. We're also exposed to cosmic radiation high energy particles. the sun itself emits the entire electromagnetic spectrum. you should be more worried about red giants going supernova.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Electromagnetic fields move at about the speed of light here on earth. They continue to travel until they reach the edge of the Universe (after that nobody knows). They do not linger. Unless something gets between the source of the field and you will be exposed. This includes radiation from stars billions of light years away, though those would be so greatly attenuated it would be hard to pick out of the noise without really expensive equipment.

Don't worry. I have been living in houses with AC wiring that emit both electric and magnetic radiation for my whole life, and you probably have too, and haven't noticed any ill effects from it. Going back many decades government regulations limits the EMF from many types of electronic equipment to keep the equipment from interfering with radio services, and In the 1990's a Swedish labor union made a push to minimize electric and magnetic fields from office equipment. You have little or nothing to worry about unless you are in very unusual circumstances.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
The questions are extra detailed disputed into many safety standards like
ICNIRP-1998 with current changes at ICNIRP2010; and IEEE/ICES-c95-1; and NRPB 1993; and WHO (2000 pub.80).
Just take goggles and read it through.

The main points: there are evidences some even small EMI but chronic exposition may induce the cancer for very sensitive people. Yet for the average strong people the carcinogenic component is absent. For all people the thermal stress is dominating, and thus the exposition normative are frequency-dependant. For low freq the E and H fields must be limited, but for microwaves the W/m2 is criterion. Most of normative are derived from 1 C temperature drop with safety factor x10 for professionals and surplus factor of x5 for general public. For antenna near zone where vacuum impedance is far away from well known 376,7 Ohms, most cases the magnetic component is nearer to exceeding nor an E component, except the HV power grid.

In my surroundings I can name a hundreds of objects where E or H or even S criterion are overstepped, but there are no massive corpses laying in those places, however many people get ill and I have helped them to measure the illness source. After years they often send me a thanks as the illness stepped back, when they cancelled a source. Thus - electromagnetic hygiene is the exact science where any mistake plucks own harvest.

To the question, may the exposition quantities summed at lifetime - yes, for sure.
To the question, may I infect like with flu, just touching an overexposed thing. Sure nope, its not induced radioactivity.
To the question may the things change it molecular structure under heavy overexposure. Sure yes, but in lesser content like at ionizing radiation, mostly all changes happens at negative ion form (because of lesser electron affinity) and are caused by molecular vibration or rotation energy. Just the free radicals are concentrating and recombination is slower that accumulating. If that ions are not a part of one`s body, there are nothing inherently risky in such. If that happens into flesh - the consequences are mild and demands a much of time normally.

For measuring the EMI according to standards there are two good personal use, economy class measurers. One is 50 MHz -3500 MHz device without of ability to se the frequency Tenmars TM-195 (about 100 USD) and better is 1 Hz - 10 GHz device capable to identify the all frequencies (graph) GQ-390 (slightly beyound 200 USD). Exist much more professional devices like Aaronia, Rhode&Schwartz etc, but four-digit or five-digit price gives a very minor privilege over first I named.

Last edited:

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
PS - about about 50 Hz power grids. NORMAL power grid have overexposure so near as 1...2 maximum 3 centimeters (!!!) off the cabling. Sleeping so near is 100% detrimental for health, and I may refer to at least two dozen of people I know. After I show with a masurements thy must slightly de-attach their bed off the wall where cabling was mured just in position going parallel their whole body, the pain was decreasing an after year been lost. However I have met the misfortune people living in house where central HES supercable is going across their sleep place just meter beyound the ground. In such places their sufferings begun just in first month after obtaining that residence, but when I show the field intensity diminishes to permitted value after 2 meters off, they simply changed the sleeping room and health problems evaporated. By the way, diesel locomotive drivers, whose seat on russian loccomotives are just half meter off the main alternator of megavatt scale, have a 15-fold higher no-reason suicide risk. Guess what is the EMI in that place. May tell that secret - about 100x those permitted normative.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
PPPS -
For just visualizing - absolutely safe distance from CCFL lamp is about 30 cm; from laptop screen is 40 cm, from kinescope TV screen about 3 meters, from power grid wiring 2 cm; from heavy loaded power grid wiring 1 meter, from 50 mW WiFi point about 5 meters; from 3x200 W 5G telephony tower 400-500 meters, High Voltage (100-300 kV scale ) power far-transport line - between 50 and 200 meters both sides. Source of figures, straight measurements on ordinary installations in ordinary home environment., what I have don several thousands in last 10 years.

About last speaking, some late after 2000 finding of UK EPA shown that three phase HV power wiring makes a tri-pole configuration what in tetrapole sub-version is called QMS filter in analytic chemistry. Such tetrapole specifically concentrates around self the specific chemical, whats name depends on electrical regimes. And mathematically was proposed that for realistic power grid obstacles that substance is suspiciously near to the atomic mass 86 or Radon gas. hen EPA provided a massive over 2000 in-house radon measurement action, thus the 98,9% of all houses nearer than 50 meter off the grid (far traffic) lines had overstepped this alpha-radioactive gas concentration and only 2% of houses more fare than 50 m afar had the same problem. Thus, living extremely near to far transport grids leads not only to high E exposition and some cases high H exposition as well, but even to prime ionizing exposition breathing alpha particles from wires just attracting and concentrating it from all natural background (as deep horizons waters, granite etc).

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The Earth itself produces a magnetic field which is no different than an ElectroMagnetic Field. Even a tinfoil hat won't protect you from that.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
SamR - Please dont mix in one pot a different things. The DC fields may not produce ANY warming effect, and beyond it, the Earth magnetic intensity is far beyond the power grid caused. None and never had argument that Earth magnetic field may overstep th ANY of existing EMI sanitary normative. To Earth field we have accommodated better than well, but all those radiofrequency fields are for the body sth completely new.
Environmental sciences are telling much about 2-3 orders law. ANY (chemical, physical or any other fields, poisons, impacts etc) if goes below or goes over the natural background more than 2 orders of magnitude are suspicious probably harmful but three orders of magnitude means sure harmful.
Take an example water - normally we need about 3 liters per day. Under 30 grams is death and over 300 liters is sure death. Fingers have 10 mV of biopotentials but 30V may kill. 10 kg bag is that everyone everyday are using for something but 1 ton will kill in seconds. Thus - potentially dangerous fields when it is completely lacked - radiation. With completely unexisting radiation the spermy cannot virilize the egg cell. But hard radiation kills. The full absence of magnetic field kills very fast, but overstepping the EMI guidelines kills softly. Complete lack of DC fields rapidly induce the cancer, but hard overstepping the E normative do the same at lymphatic system and blood.
You mostly may not to find ANY environmental parameter and say - as more as better or as less as better. Simply such not exist

RE:""Don't worry. I have been living in houses with AC wiring that emit both electric and magnetic radiation for my whole life""
I have ated all my life, probably, the cyanic alkali and still am alive. The question is NOT do anyone received sth sure innocent or not received but question is about HOW MUCH one have received. And I would bet if Your home sweet home would be overexponated Youll not call it nor sweet, nor home, or be laying in white slippers. And vice versa - if You are still alive and at less or better health, then your place not contains any harmful overexposure discourse.

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I spent several years exposed to very high powered electro-magnetic fields. I had an office just outside of a gigantic sub-arc welding machine. So powerful it was that when it was running - my CRT Computer Screen would scramble. Many monitors of that sort have gone bad from gausing of the screen. If you have an old monitor or TV - don't try this if you want to continue using it - place a magnet by the screen. The electrons that make up the picture are drawn to the magnetic field. Placing a magnet there will magnetize (gaus, don't know if I'm spelling that right) - but placing a magnet there will magnetize the screen and the picture will be distorted. Fortunately CRT screens can be degaused and restored to normal operation.

My point is that I was exposed to powerful magnetic fields for several years with no ill effects. At least none that can be traced back to that machine.

You ask if they linger. No. They don't. A magnetic field is present only as long as its source is present. If it's source is a permanent magnet then it's permanently there. But a permanent magnet doesn't emit a changing field, it presents a constant field. Same as gravity. And nobody has died from gravity. Except those who have tested its laws by jumping or falling to their death (ooh, that's dark). EMF (Electro Magnetic Fields) that are produced by a transformer such as that in a home stereo produce a changing magnetic field. However, their field is very limited in its reach. When you double your distance from the source you reduce your exposure by a factor of four. Being twice the distance away reduces your exposure by four times. Consequently, moving twice as close multiplies your exposure by the same factor of four.

Cell phones are very low power devices. You can't talk around the world on one, they need cell towers. And cell towers operate in the microwave frequency. Microwave energy (very very high frequency) can cook an egg. Your eyeballs. Other balls of various nature can also be cooked. Flesh, Birds, aliens who park their spaceship adjacent to a cell phone tower will be cooked. But again, the further away you are from a source the safer you are.

In the field of nuclear radiation there are three factors that limit your exposure. Time, Distance and Shielding. The less time you spend exposed to a source of radiation the less harm you suffer. The further you are away from a source the less you're harmed. And the more shielded from a source - the less you're harmed. Same is true with magnetic radiation. Radiation only means an emission of an energy. Sound is a form of radiation too. Sound waves propagate through the air. Loud sounds are more harmful than quiet sounds. Less energy. Certain frequencies can be more damaging than others.

We're exposed to a great number of things in our lives. Most seem to have little effect on human health. Very few are known to be harmful. But the list can get absurdly long and strange. Such as being exposed to the electrical charge of an electric eel. But let's not go there. Chances of you being exposed to an eel are very remote. So don't worry about eels and don't worry about electro-magnetism.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Interesting story about this.

I had a powerful magnet I had removed from a woofer. My girlfriend at the time decided to move it, and placed it right next to the TV, CRT type at that time.

The picture was totally destroyed, with the colors all messed up. She moved the speaker back and, of course, the problem persisted.

She told what what happened. I flipped the magnet over, reversing the orientation of the poles. Then I told her to move it by the TV and back the same way she had before. The TV picture was restored!

Bob

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Interesting story about this.

I had a powerful magnet I had removed from a woofer. My girlfriend at the time decided to move it, and placed it right next to the TV, CRT type at that time.

The picture was totally destroyed, with the colors all messed up. She moved the speaker back and, of course, the problem persisted.

She told what what happened. I flipped the magnet over, reversing the orientation of the poles. Then I told her to move it by the TV and back the same way she had before. The TV picture was restored!

Bob
Great story. Unfortunately I've seen TV's damaged that could not be recovered. I myself had placed a magnet next to the screen of my parents TV and it caused a distortion. I NEVER confessed. But the technician knew exactly what I did. He had a loop coil of about 16 inches diameter that he plugged into the outlet, then started moving it in a circular motion in front of the TV. You could watch the picture distort. Slowly he backed away from the TV and the magnetic coil had less and less effect on the TV. Eventually he was several feet away from the TV when he turned it off. The picture was back to normal. I guess back then magnets and TV screens was a common issue. What with kids and all.

Chris65536

Joined Nov 11, 2019

I did the same exact thing while packing up at the end of sophomore year in college. I had bought some 8" woofers from another guy on our floor, and put them on top of the TV while getting stuff packed. That TV was never the same...

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I once was exposed to a pulsed magnetic field that hurt a bit. It was inside an MRI machine and they wanted to see my pulverized shoulder joint, which came apart after I was hit and launched many feet by a vehicle. I landed on that shoulder and it sort of came apart a bit. So two days later I was still a bit sore. And the magnetic force acting on the iron in my blood in that shoulder did cause enough motion to hurt a bit. So magnetic fields can do stuff, The will certainly destroy watches.

BUT it is important to get the names correct EMF stands for Electro Motive Force, similar to voltage. Magnetic fields are not abbreviated except by those who are unknowing.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hello everyone. I had a question about EMF's. I've seen many intelligent and knowledgeable people here so I figured I could get an answer. I just wanted to know if something emits EMF's say in your home, would you be exposed to them in any way if you are out of range? Do EMF's accumulate and/or linger in the air/environment? Thank you in advance
I doubt you would be exposed to a field strong enough to have an effect around your home. I know a couple in Independence, Ohio. Their back yard borders on a major power company right-of-way and I mean some serious towers and a large number of lines. When weather conditions are right you can hear the 60 Hz hum. That's about it. My guess is those towers are within 100 yards of their yard and home. They have been there about 30 years I am aware of and raised two normal healthy kids. This is only the 60 Hz electro magnetic field and not inclusive of the dozen or so other sources in the average home.

"If you have no way of measuring power line radiation levels, it may help to know that the strongest high voltage transmission lines (400kV) typically produce less than 0.5 milligauss EMF at 200 metres. The strongest street pole power lines (33 kV) generally produce less than 0.5 milligauss at 25 metres".

The above quote was taken from here. You can also read what the US EPA has to say about it. If you read enough about effects I believe, short of biased nonsense, you will find most results and test are inconclusive which is a popular word with subjects like this.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Answering the question about magnetic field persistence: The field collapses as soon as the current producing it ceases. With very good equipment it is possible to measure the time of the field collapse, but for all practical considerations it is instant.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Answering the question about magnetic field persistence: The field collapses as soon as the current producing it ceases. With very good equipment it is possible to measure the time of the field collapse, but for all practical considerations it is instant.
OK that sounds reasonable but how did we get to field collapse?

I once got an MRI and removed everything I was supposed to. Left my wallet in my pocket. A few days later I go to the ATM and my card won't work. Never gave it much thought, went home and got my wife's card which worked fine. Went to dinner and our server mentioned she had to key in my card number. I finally got a clue. Had to replace all my cards. Still can't believe I was that stupid and then slow on the uptake.

Wife has some metal, actually quite a bit of metal in her and she says during MRIs and other scans she feels like warm spots where the metal is. Not really uncomfortable but she feels it.

Ron