Elusive Datasheet - Individual Cell Balance/health IC

BDCarrillo

Joined Mar 19, 2021
I'm working on understanding a balance and battery management board to inject control via arduino. I've succeeded taking control at a couple points, but need to verify that balancing is unaffected.

I've got three of these boards, and they all have "5363" chips at the location marked by the arrow. Each board has a different letter suffix, but all chips on one board share the same suffix. They include "E" "V" and "P". Each cell (10 in series) has it's own 5363, which connects to a transistor to drain current over a 150 ohm resistor to achieve a target voltage. The 5363 also has two separate outputs to two strings of optoisolators (other side of board). One string of optoisolators conveys a "good to discharge" and powers the gate on three output power mosfets. The other optoisolator string conveys "good to charge" and triggers the gate on a single charger input mosfet.

The datasheet has eluded me so far, and I've searched all 6 pin battery management ICs on Digikey, checked through the stickied cross references, and googled it to no end. I'm presuming there are internally set thresholds for low voltage, balance target, and over voltage in the datasheet.

Attachments

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there :) welcome to AAC!

The controller dynamically moves from voltage- to current-controlled charging, following the charge characteristics of the target battery chemistry.So, with that said. I'm asking you what is your battery chemistry please?

BDCarrillo

Joined Mar 19, 2021
Thanks for the reply/greeting!

Apparently my post got moved from Part ID to Power...

It's a lithium-ion pack (4p10s). The charger is external to the white circuitboard posted above and handles the current/voltage for charging. I've already implemented output control and voltage monitoring of the whole pack via a Trinket Pro and custom sketch.

My primary questions revolve around the "5363" and hopefully locating a datasheet. It appears that the 5363 handles the balancing of individual cells by trickling a few milliamps. From what I can tell it's dumping the excess as heat via a small transistor (AISHB in photo) to a relatively large 150 ohm resistor.