Electrostatic charge - is it OT ?

daba1955

Joined Apr 27, 2019
I've found that the usefull paint coverage from a common aerosol paint can is about 30%, the rest just goes where you don't want it to, i.e all over the newspaper !

I've been wondering if it would be possible to electrostatically charge the can and paint so that it only goes where you want it.

Obviously the receiving parts would need to be inversely charged, or perhaps just at GND potential.

Anyone got any thoughts on this ?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I've found that the usefull paint coverage from a common aerosol paint can is about 30%, the rest just goes where you don't want it to, i.e all over the newspaper !

I've been wondering if it would be possible to electrostatically charge the can and paint so that it only goes where you want it.

Obviously the receiving parts would need to be inversely charged, or perhaps just at GND potential.

Anyone got any thoughts on this ?
Let me google that for you

kv

Last edited:

daba1955

Joined Apr 27, 2019
I was always taught "Volts jolts - mils kills"

I was also taught that you could get electrostaticaly charged to several hundred KV just by walking on a nylon carpet. Years ago I worked in a national electrical outlet store who used nylon carpet tiles, and we always got a kick when we went to turn the key to register a sale in the till (yep, a long time ago). I started to use a metal ball-point pen to carry the shock away from a single point of contact, and that worked well. One day I reached into my pocket for the pen, and couldn't find it, so instead used a Pifco Mains Tester screwdriver, you know the sort, the one with a neon bulb in. As I swiped the tip across the till key, the neon exploded !!

Anyway back OnT, I obviously wasn't thinking of charging myself, just the spray-paint can, which I can hold in a rubber-gloved hand.