Electronics Paradise

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Was there a few years ago. It was an absolutely overwhelming experience. When you go, bring a shopping list and if possible somebody who knows their way around the city.

I'll never use up all of these LEDs.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi spin,
I get lots of 'big boys toys' from Shenzhen, takes 3 to 4 weeks for delivery.
Prices are low, so far the quality has been acceptable.

E

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
hi spin,
I get lots of 'big boys toys' from Shenzhen, takes 3 to 4 weeks for delivery.
Prices are low, so far the quality has been acceptable.

E
Yeah that is the point. They need to come from China or even Mouser. I want a place I can just drive a few miles and then be able to look over what is there.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Sim Lim towers in Singapore are, in the so many stages, a reduced version. In one tower, just components of any kind And across the street in the other, any kind of consumer electronics. Overwhelming experience

Bought there two CA3086 and maybe something else. Failed miserably after so many years dreaming to be in such a place.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In order to avoid being accused of posting spam, I will simply state that there are seven such branch stores across Ontario, Canada. These are not "surplus" stores though some of their stock would definitely be considered surplus or end-of-line. For example, they sell some RS proto boards and resistor kits. They stock rPi, Arduino, 3D printer filaments, quad-copters, test equipment, etc.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Definitely not Shenzhen, but this is the best we can do in my area.
We only have two stores here where you can buy EE stuff and both are pretty small. One is kept very neat but you can only see so much of their merchandise in the store itself and over 80-90% is kept in the back so you don't really browse the store itself, you check their inventory online beforehand.

The other one however gives you the antique bookstore vibe with some organised chaos from the second you step in and their online catalog was probably designed in the early before the invention of the internet;) It looks to be update regularly though but the interface is basically like a text file with links to other text files...

I find way more fun to visit the second one but like I've mention here before, the prices aren't cheap in either of them so most of the stuff I use at home besides tools come from Asia...

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Just curious... Where are you?

There is not a single surplus/walk-in electronics store remaining here in Denver area. :(
Remember TechAmerica when it was first opened? I used to go there (and quite a drive from Colorado Springs) just to drool over their tech books section (and bought more than a few of them!).

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
In order to avoid being accused of posting spam, I will simply state that there are seven such branch stores across Ontario, Canada. These are not "surplus" stores though some of their stock would definitely be considered surplus or end-of-line. For example, they sell some RS proto boards and resistor kits. They stock rPi, Arduino, 3D printer filaments, quad-copters, test equipment, etc.

Wait, that wasn't from Houston? I believe there is a similar big store in Houston.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Remember TechAmerica when it was first opened? I used to go there (and quite a drive from Colorado Springs) just to drool over their tech books section (and bought more than a few of them!).
I have a flashback every time I pass the old TechAmerica site. I really miss the books section as well.

I am still using some of the parts I got on closeout when they shut down.

Did Micro Center go under? Not surplus, but at least had a lot of close-to-hobbyist electronics stuff.
I forgot that MicroCenter has some parts and tools -- but is no Gateway. :(

p.s. I still get donut withdrawal when I go by the empty Gateway building on a Saturday.