Electronic mole repeller project starting

Chris-nk

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hi good people, I'm on the way to make an electronc mole repeller and I'm interested what you think about how to make one.
Please dont advise me to buy one for $20 because o wont buy any more one. No one was good but I tried 3-4 of them, so I decided to build my own one.
What you think about the theoretic think of that electronic?
How should it be build up?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Do you have any research indicating that an electronic device will discourage moles from eating the roots of fruit trees?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
wont buy any more one. No one was good but I tried 3-4 of them, so I decided to build my own one.
Not wishing to deter you, but how would yours differ from the ones that didn't work? I'm dubious as to the effectiveness of the vibration-generating type.

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
Yeah my dad tried one of these and it failed miserably, had to call out the molecatcher in the end and he took care of it with some rather nasty looking traps. Did the job but not exactly the humane option, depends how desperate you are.

Chris-nk

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I did some reaserch and there is a lot of infos about to use high frequency and other promote low frequency. I opened some of that what I was bought and I was suprised what it was. Some of them had only a relay whit an oscilator circuit other hase a vibro motor like one in mobile phone but they all told it will send ultrahigh frequency.
what you think to build an electronic which would send a frequemcy from low to high frequency randomly?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I once built a 40kHz noise generator to repel the neighbor's cats. The moment I turned it on, the cats looked at it and came over to investigate.:mad:

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
University Extension Agents at State Universities universally say this:

Scare tactics: Although numerous devices are commercially available to use to frighten moles (vibrating stakes, ultrasonic devices, pinwheels, etc.), moles do not frighten easily. This is probably because of their repeated exposure to noise and vibrations from sprinklers, people moving about, and lawnmowers and other power equipment. Consequently, frightening devices have not proven to be effective in Washington. Note: Be skeptical of commercial products and claims, and make sure the manufacturer offers a money-back guarantee if the product proves ineffective.

Another: (Page 4, near bottom)

I asked my wife who is a University of Az adjunct in Horticulture and a Master Gardener. Her boss, the Extention Agent, says the same as the above. Save your money; noise makers or ground rattlers do not work.

Rattlers reminds me of what does work. Our resident Gopher Snake(Fred) goes down their burrows and disappears for days at a time... We seem to have less problems when Fred is around.

Last edited:

Marcus2012

Joined Feb 22, 2015
The only way to know if this works is to get a mole and test its reactions but I doubt that would be conclusive unless you replicated the moles native environment as it would be highly agitated in a human environment. I haven't been able to find any conclusive evidence sonic techniques work at all. I do imagine they can work when the power is amplified significantly and at very lower frequencies but to do this you probably have to direct low frequency sound directly into the ground which gets absorbed easily so you would need lots of power. The kind of power to produce the shockwave in the ground equivalent to dropping a small car on the earth from a 100 feet up. Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but still it would need to shake the earth of a second and this would scare the crap out of the mole, you and the neighbours.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
...and this would scare the crap out of the mole, you and the neighbors.
Maybe the first time it happens. After the 10th time, I think it would be more irritating than scary. If I were the mole, I would feel like chewing all of the fruit tree roots and leaving them there to rot, just because I can, and to get the car-dropping fruit-tree owner to stop dropping cars from 100 feet up.

NOTE: I edited the spelling of "Neighbors" in the quote to a less pompous version.

Chris-nk

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Ha ha ha ha I see this project is a funny project and I like your comments. I laughed to death. . .
The project title should be something like "The war of mole" or something that. :)

Okay, return to the project.
What are you think should the wave of the 400Hz be square or wave form? Can use a standard speaker or must be a piezo?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
So in the face of evidence that electronic mole repellers have no scientific basis, and that previously purchased devices "didn't work", the OP is going to build a new one. How is it going to be any better?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
So in the face of evidence that electronic mole repellers have no scientific basis, and that previously purchased devices "didn't work", the OP is going to build a new one. How is it going to be any better?
Who said anything about better? He only said the purchased versions were not good. I understood his original post as, "since the purchased devices were not good, I could easily make one that doesn't work all by myself."

From post 1.
Please dont advise me to buy one for $20 because o wont buy any more one. No one was good but I tried 3-4 of them, so I decided to build my own one.