Electronic decision unit

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Seems a little strange, in fact odd, to attempt to design an electronic circuit assignment without any prior knowledge or experience of the subject in question?
Max.
As I and others have responded in other posts by the TS, he has several options.

• Suck it up and do the study necessary to be able to do his assignments
  • Drop the course and take it at a later time
  • Change schools
  • Change careers
What is NOT a viable course of action, is to expect others to do his homework for him. He has at least two threads trying to get us to do just that. I’ll offer to provide a solution, if he tells us his school and instructor so that I get credit for the assignment.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have some knowledge but i have a bad teacher and nobody in class understands her
Unfortunately seeking a total answer here, and if it was given, would not really assist you in furthering your knowledge.
If you feel the present tutor is failing to provide the necessary knowledge then as already intimated, the only course is to immerse yourself in some material on logic circuits and if you come to a stumbling point then there would be help here to get you through it, but otherwise the site policy is to not solve homework questions in total, as it does nothing to further your personal knowledge on the subject.
Max.

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
Unfortunately seeking a total answer here, and if it was given, would not really assist you in furthering your knowledge.
If you feel the present tutor is failing to provide the necessary knowledge then as already intimated, the only course is to immerse yourself in some material on logic circuits and if you come to a stumbling point then there would be help here to get you through it, but otherwise the site policy is to not solve homework questions in total, as it does nothing to further your personal knowledge on the subject.
Max.
well at least tell me what to read up on, or give me a clue or a headstart

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
well at least tell me what to read up on, or give me a clue or a headstart
We’ve done that. Have you researched any of our suggestions? Anything at all beyond complaining that reading what we suggest isn’t helpful? Once you’ve read the links provided to you, prove to us that you’ve read them by asking related questions that show you’re willing to do the necessary work.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
They require an electronic decision unit to indicate which of three quiz teams presses their buttons first. The unit should include light and sound.
Okay here you go 20200223_003345_Film1.jpg
Each player or contestant each have their own answer button to press with a corresponding LED as soon as the first contestant presses the button a loud tone sounds all other contestants are locked out and the contestants indicator LED lights so that it's obvious who buzzed in first. The lockout occurs because really K2 contacts operate to remove availability of a bias voltage to the gate of the other SCR's, also there are other switches for reset + 555 to set a timer in case you want to specific time in which one should answer the question. But I'm not telling.
Almost forgot there are 4 normally open momentary push button switches shown for convenience you could add an additional 4 more with the 12 volt supply

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
Okay here you go View attachment 199738
Each player or contestant each have their own answer button to press with a corresponding LED as soon as the first contestant presses the button a loud tone sounds all other contestants are locked out and the contestants indicator LED lights so that it's obvious who buzzed in first. The lockout occurs because really K2 contacts operate to remove availability of a bias voltage to the gate of the other SCR's, also there are other switches for reset + 555 to set a timer in case you want to specific time in which one should answer the question. But I'm not telling.
Almost forgot there are 4 normally open momentary push button switches shown for convenience you could add an additional 4 more with the 12 volt supply
555 timer in monostable or astable

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Oh my goodness forgive me I was informed or notified that this was under general electronics forum and it jumped me to the newest thread so I will be more observant. And to all the members answering to this thread it seems I have undermined you're well taken points and advise I don't know what else to say but. . I blew it
I apologize to each and everyone of you .

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@electronice123

@post #16 TS = Thread Starter (the label under your name)
@post #21 "de novo" mean starting from scratch. That is, you start with the basic question, build the logic, and design the circuit using basic components you know. Contrast that to searching on the Internet or in the library, getting ideas about how others solved the problem, and using more complex parts as used in other's solutions.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am neither, i am simply a student struggling with electronics subject
I have always had to write very detailed sequences of operation for programmers . A mechanical machine person would be offended if I included instructions to use a bolt. washer, lockwasher, and nut on each connection point, the hydraulics assemblers would be offended if I included instructions that each joint must not leak, but the programmers needed more details than that. Add "feature creep" to the list of problems they cause and it is clear why software is not always the solution.
In addition, how many of those little MCUs are still available a few years later? But the 4000 series CMOS devices from 1975 are still valid and available from multiple sources and several manufacturers. So if you have any intention of creating a product with a lifetime of very long then the non-programmable logic makes a lot of sense. Also, no little glitches will wipe out the code. How can you replace a fried arduino with another one if you do not have the code to reload it???

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
View attachment 199731

I need for the circuit to lock out the others, when one button is pressed, and when it is pressed light and sound should indicate it has been pressed
This circuit in post #36 will do the lock out very well, although there is probably a 120 nanosecond window after the first button press where a second one might be accepted. And the circuit is even simpler than what I had thought of, plus it requires no input conditioning. This is a really brilliant design!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
. So if you have any intention of creating a product with a lifetime of very long then the non-programmable logic makes a lot of sense. Also, no little glitches will wipe out the code. How can you replace a fried arduino with another one if you do not have the code to reload it???
That is all very well for very small simple devices, now almost all industrial controls are processor based, from the Smart Relay, PLC and CNC systems, It would be almost impossible to achieve without processing power,
Even the smaller household and local shop devices have them, e.g. My Treadmill and the OBD-11 unit I just purchased has one.
Anyone would be hard pressed to name a household appliance that also did not have one in some form or another.
Max.