Electrolytic SMD capacitor has values in both poles when measuring in diode scale with multimeter

acercam

Joined Apr 27, 2023
What if an electrolytic SMD capacitor has voltage on both poles when measuring in diode scale with multimeter ? I did same measure with other caps around having 0.0 in negative pole and some value in positive. But this one has 0.435 in positive and 0.840 in negative.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
What are you concerned about the measurement in the reverse direction?

The reverse characteristics are undefined and vary by how the electrolytic is fabricated.

acercam

Joined Apr 27, 2023
What are you concerned about the measurement in the reverse direction?

The reverse characteristics are undefined and vary by how the electrolytic is fabricated.
Im becoming crazy with a nintendo 64 motherboard. This one have only 18 electrolytic capacitors. But I get no uF readings in some of them. There are a couple measuring some resistance readings in continuity mode switching the tips of the multimeter, I mean I have 228 ohms with the positive tip of the multimeter on the positive of the electrolytic and negative tip on the negative side of the capacitor the I switch the tips reading same resistance (228 ohms). What does it mean ?? My N64 is failing (The led indicator turn on but no signal of video or audio).

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Im becoming crazy with a nintendo 64 motherboard. This one have only 18 electrolytic capacitors. But I get no uF readings in some of them. There are a couple measuring some resistance readings in continuity mode switching the tips of the multimeter, I mean I have 228 ohms with the positive tip of the multimeter on the positive of the electrolytic and negative tip on the negative side of the capacitor the I switch the tips reading same resistance (228 ohms). What does it mean ?? My N64 is failing (The led indicator turn on but no signal of video or audio).
You CANNOT reliably measure component values of components on a circuit board. PERIOD — END OF STORY. Wherever you picked up this misbegotten concept you need to discard it.

acercam

Joined Apr 27, 2023
Are you measuring these caps in circuit? Measuring in circuit will not give any meaningful results.
Apparently is meaningful reading component values off the board as well. I remove a couple of the caps having good readings, good charge / discharge in other N64, I ve decided replace them anyway and bum !! That nintendo 64 is working again. But not mine :(.