Electricity prices variations

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Why are electricity prices incremental in some countries whereas they are decremental in others?
Some regions have excess power available and some run short. Those with excess power offer volume discounts and would like some industrial consumers to move in and use available excess generating capacity.

Those regions with low capacity and reluctant to add additional power plants try to discourage users from building up demand beyond their economical capacity.

محمد نور

Joined Dec 17, 2016
Some regions have excess power available and some run short. Those with excess power offer volume discounts and would like some industrial consumers to move in and use available excess generating capacity.

Those regions with low capacity and reluctant to add additional power plants try to discourage users from building up demand beyond their economical capacity.
Thanks!

Your question is unclear. Do you mean, why are prices falling in some areas and rising in others?
GropherT did the job

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One big consideration I would think is the source.
Here we have an abundance of Hydro electricity, others may use non-renewable resources such as coal etc.
Max.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

And if you notice Gopher uses "regions". In a large country like the US, energy prices can vary greatly from area to area. Gopher lives just an hour or so north of me and gasoline prices can be several cents cheaper where he lives than where I live. Part of this reason is likely due to transportation costs which can also affect cost of energy in general.

Another factor that can affect prices between governmental regions is taxes. The state Gopher and I live, has the highest gasoline tax in the country so we pretty much pay the highest prices in the US for gasoline. Hawaii might pay a higher price but their costs are mostly due to transportation.