Electric vaccum solder sucker?

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I have 2 different models both work well. I'm in a trip now and away from my computer, but not too long ago i posted links to them. One is more durable, the other has a longer tip and has much better reach.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
That zd is the one i would buy again, it's the less durable one but the reach is a lot better when going between parts. I don't remember the price but it was under $200. You definitely want one with continuous suction. No doubt it's a luxury item, but really makes desoldering much easier. Tip: let it fully heat for several minutes before using it to reduce clogging.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have used one of the ones that came from Radio shack, with the squeeze bulb that you release quickly. It works very wll but the copper tips deteriorate and need to be replaced. And I also have used the Edsyn Soldapault quite a bit. It works well but it does need to be re-cocked every time, and it does not work on every thing.Those ones with the electric pump are great if you have $250 or $300 to spend. Also consider SolderWick.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That zd is the one i would buy again, it's the less durable one but the reach is a lot better when going between parts. I don't remember the price but it was under $200. You definitely want one with continuous suction. No doubt it's a luxury item, but really makes desoldering much easier. Tip: let it fully heat for several minutes before using it to reduce clogging.
I don't want to pay anywhere near that. ;)

I'm thinking home brew. Bet I could rig something with some vinyl tubing and my vacuum. I figure I could slip some tubing over my existing solder sucker.

The problem is finding the right size tubing. Neither Home Depot or Lowes seems to carry it. I might need to order, The OD of the solder sucker is just over 3/4" bet I could make 3/4" ID fit. I would need to build a reducer at the vacuum end but that should not be too hard.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
Recently I saw a video of that fat blue one in your first link. It has a little compressor in it and sips the solder off when hot. I figure that I can make one with an old refrigerator compressor, an old bulb type desoldering iron and a small air blower nozzle as the valve.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Denon 700 here. It costed dearly. In spite of all precautions I could take, got clogged too often.

In this country getting the spares is a problem as well. When it worked, it was a good tool.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I have a motor driven de-soldering tool. The vacuum pump motor is in the handle.
SC-7000 desolderer.png
Denon 7000. I don't know if it is the same as atferrari above.
This has given me great service for many years. And well it should. It was quite a few hundred dollars. In fact, Googling it has quite scary prices!
Price: £1,067.77 in one place, € 599.76 another

It came with a range of heater/barrel sizes and replacement filters. In an attempt to clean the filter cylinders, I dropped them into the water based PCB cleaner and the plastic cracked. So it does not like getting wet.

A good de-soldering tool is a great thing to have and they are a lot cheaper now. Get one that has an actual vacuum pump of some sort, not just a spring tool. That helps avoiding the recoil damaging the board.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I have a motor driven de-soldering tool. The vacuum pump motor is in the handle.
View attachment 170329
Denon 7000. I don't know if it is the same as atferrari above.
This has given me great service for many years. And well it should. It was quite a few hundred dollars. In fact, Googling it has quite scary prices!
Price: £1,067.77 in one place, € 599.76 another

It came with a range of heater/barrel sizes and replacement filters. In an attempt to clean the filter cylinders, I dropped them into the water based PCB cleaner and the plastic cracked. So it does not like getting wet.

A good de-soldering tool is a great thing to have and they are a lot cheaper now. Get one that has an actual vacuum pump of some sort, not just a spring tool. That helps avoiding the recoil damaging the board.
Maybe I dropped a 0 from the name.
It looks the same.

I got mad with frequent clogging.

Maybe I was using it with less temperature than the necessary.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I have the cleaning rod with the end sharpened into a chisel point, and it is in a battery drill. That cleans it out well!
After it is run through the hot barrel, I switch the tool to blow and all the muck comes out.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Recently I saw a video of that fat blue one in your first link. It has a little compressor in it and sips the solder off when hot. I figure that I can make one with an old refrigerator compressor, an old bulb type desoldering iron and a small air blower nozzle as the valve.

This one?
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Vac...13242&sr=8-7&keywords=electric+solder+vacuum+

Gets bad reviews Not many reviews but all very negative.

Why can't come sites get their search right? I searched for electric solder vacuum and got all kind of results including a battery connector for a cigarette lighter!

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The problem is finding the right size tubing.
Few years ago I built a watering device for my wife's favorite garden potted plants (no - not mary-jane). It consisted of a tote with an old dish washing drain pump attached to the outside. The problem I encountered was making it fit to some sort of plumbing. The way I overcame that was using a heat gun to soften some PVC. CAUTION: DO THIS IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS. OPEN GARAGE WORKS WELL. Softening the tubing and pushing it into the pump inlet housing made quite the tight seal. The pump would run for one minute every day, pumping water into a tank with an overflow so that when full the excess water drained back into the tote. The tank had a quarter inch outlet at the bottom that fed drip tubing. The pump was on a programmable timer. Another timer was used for the grow light. Every spring the wife would put her plants back out in the sunshine and they would be ready for another growing season.

I've used the heat gun & PVC to make other things as well. An oxygen cart for my MIL's oxygen tanks. Bent handles are nice, and you don't have that unsightly blue glue joint that ran down the side fo the pipe.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Not sure in what forum, maybe here, there was someone who built a very effective one with simple parts.

From what I recall the main point in the design was that the liquid solder while being sucked in was also deflected so it never reached the pump but got dropped in a small receptacle.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That's odd, I have never experienced that, it works much better than the old hand held sucker, I really like it.
The only thing to get used to is to make sure you don't squeeze the bulb Immediately after making a solder suction!!:(
Max.