electric hvlp paint gun speed control circuit

ninjaman

Joined May 18, 2013
hello
i posted before about this electric paint gun that i have. it has a "turbine" which i believe is just a motor turning a fan. looking inside the gun there is a capacitor which i think is used to start the motor? not sure what type of motor this is. there is not much else besides a switch inside the gun.
Question: could i use a speed control circuit on this gun, not knowing the type of motor could be a problem but it is powered by the mains voltage (240)

i have seen a few circuits controlling the speed of mains powered motor tools, few parts so it should be cheap. i have seen a few schematics and they have triacs and diacs, not sure about these as i have never used them. is there a particular name i could research for this type of circuit that would give more information. there are capacitors in the circuit as well but no voltage values for those, just capacitance. i am guessing that as the circuit would be taking 240 volts then they should be rated at least this?

any help or advice would be great. i am getting better at painting with the gun i just think that the power is a little much and creates some over spray. i would like to try this speed controller if i can.
thanks
simon

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
You are trying to solve a problem that other people are not having,
or that has already been solved.
HVLP Paint Guns have been around for quite some time now,
and many professionals use them everyday.
Find out how they solve the problems you are having.
There may be different sized nozzles available for instance,
or you may be able to create an Air-Restriction at the Inlet.

YouTube is excellent for this.

Creating a Speed-Controller for a completely unknown device/Motor
is impossible without knowing, or being able to accurately guess,
exactly how the unit was designed.
And, for a not insignificant amount of Money.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
HVLP Paint Guns have been around for quite some time now,
and many professionals use them everyday.
Find out how they solve the problems you are having.
There may be different sized nozzles available for instance,
or you may be able to create an Air-Restriction at the Inlet.
That's what I suggested in his other thread. Some people just don't understand paint and spray guns though. They seem to think that any paint can be sprayed when to do it it needs to be thinned. Or that the gun doesn't come right out of the box set correctly. Spray guns of any type aren't plug and play!

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
you a bit of a dick then?
If you can't appreciate good solid advice, then you're on your own.
Even with a totally perfect "Speed-Control" you won't get the results you expect.
If I could charge you for my time, I'd be more than happy to take your Money,
Cash only of course, I wouldn't want any charge-backs from a Credit-Card.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
you a bit of a dick then?
People here can be very helpful. Newbies sometimes don't understand that. But it's not helpful to take such a stance against someone who may feel they gave you good advice - advice you may have rejected in the past. And you have that right. You don't have to listen to anything you don't want to hear. But to respond in such a terse way is somewhat unbecoming.

So why am I jumping in so late in this game? Well, paint guns and paint flow have to be at the right air pressure or air volume to function correctly. Too low a pressure (or volume) and the paint may spatter rather than spray. I know. I do a lot of painting. Having the right pressure - even with an HVLP gun is important. In fact, I have plans to build my own spray gun that runs like the ones you see that get hooked to a vacuum cleaner output port.

Now for one more "dick" comment - 240V is no joke to mess with. I'm sure you know that - but if nobody has said before - be very careful. Even a snarky person - we still want them around. Snarks can be entertaining.