EasyEDA vs Kicad - looking for personal experiences.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Once I complete my current project I will probably start using whether Kicad or EasyEDA. While I've been user of Eagle for a long time, it seems it is time to move on. My intention is to get my PCB's eventually produced locally.

Could anyone, with experience in both applications, post some comments on his own experience? My goal is to compare them.

Links to the Web, please don't. I've been reading a lot already.

Thanks for any reply.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
My experience originally was with OrCad, now I use Kicad, which I find the open source Kicad is easily as equal to Orcad.
At least it does not cost anything to give it a try. ;)

FlyingDutch

Joined Mar 16, 2021
Hello,

I prefer "EasyEDA" - I am using it for over two years (in the future I was using Kicad). The basic advantage in my opinion is that there is many components in it's library (symbols, footprints). It is also very intuitive for me (schematics editor and PCB editor). It has also built in simulator (based on SPICE simulator).
In my job I am using "Eagle PRO" from Autodesk, but for personal hobby projects I prefer "EasyEDA".

Best Regards

Once I complete my current project I will probably start using whether Kicad or EasyEDA. While I've been user of Eagle for a long time, it seems it is time to move on. My intention is to get my PCB's eventually produced locally.

Could anyone, with experience in both applications, post some comments on his own experience? My goal is to compare them.

Links to the Web, please don't. I've been reading a lot already.

Thanks for any reply.
Hello, I've spent 3 months learning KiCad. I have to say the 3d viewer is awesome. The component libraries seemed glitchy at times. Overall, I like KiCad. But there is a major issue about ANY PCB software that doesn't generate rs274X files. Boardhouses are abondoning the old Gerber format (rs274D). I've HEARD that EasyEDA does the .....X files. So, unless KiCad can figure this out in Version 6.0?.... I have to leave it.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
both rs274D and rs274X are Gerber files. the X is newer (extended) version.
i've been using KiCad forever, no PCB house ever complained about file format. my PCBs still arrive as designed. soo... which boardhouse is giving you grief and what KiCad version did you use?