Earth’s magnetic field is acting up. Wandering pole?

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Gentlemen, gentlemen, does anyone really think that flipping the magnetic poles would cause continents to "split" apart or move in any way. You do realize how really weak the magnetic field is? I will move a compass needle and that's about it I have yet to see it move even a reasonable sized pebble of iron ore or a steel bolt.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Gentlemen, gentlemen, does anyone really think that flipping the magnetic poles would cause continents to "split" apart or move in any way. You do realize how really weak the magnetic field is? I will move a compass needle and that's about it I have yet to see it move even a reasonable sized pebble of iron ore or a steel bolt.
I was actually only agreeing to the speed of the shift in past ages -- got sloppy there.

I believe the big concern for modern society is the effect of a loss of the magnetic field on shielding the Earth from the space environment, both for its impact on biological systems and also its effect on electronic systems. But I've also seen a number of follow-up analyses that show that the usual initial hysteria about things like this is largely overblown.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I'm wondering if the supposed changes in the magnetic field are because the core of the earth is experiencing some kind of rearrangement.

The volcanoes in Hawaii are believed to be connected to the "Mantle/Outer Core Boundary" and the magma/lava is chemically classified as "Ultra Mafic Basaltic" which is unusually rich in magnesium and iron - which is a magnetic element. There was a power surge at the Kilauea Volcano last April which caused the eruption of about 7 million tons of ultra mafic lava which had to come from from the both the upper and lower mantle (which are actually a plastic solid that melts within about 15 miles from the surface).

Although the eruption stopped back in July, the U.S. Geological Survey suspects that a new batch of magma is still being created as the upper mantle melts and more material creeps upward from the lower depths such as the outer core/mantle region. This would cause some change in the magnetic field near Hawaii and possibly some change in the global field.

Last edited:

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Or is it that the plate shifting makes the polarity reverse? https://phys.org/news/2011-10-plate-tectonics-reversals-earth-magnetic.html
The crustal plates probably don't have enough magnetic material to affect the global field.

Also, the rate of plate movement is very, very small and the largest movements occur from earthquakes which are 20 feet in a very large event..So the only alternative theory is that the core region itself is undergoing some rearrangement. Analyzing the properties of the earth's core is very difficult and the propagation of seismic waves through that region is the only method of estimating what's going on down there.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Or is it that the plate shifting makes the polarity reverse? https://phys.org/news/2011-10-plate-tectonics-reversals-earth-magnetic.html
I think an increasingly common notion is that the magnetic situation is essentially chaotic and that relatively small events, such as a plate moving downward in a subduction zone, can act as a triggering event for a cascading change that essentially causes the geomagnetic dynamo to reset and pick an effectively random orientation which, about half the time, happens to be the one that it had before the collapse.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I wonder if any other magnetic fields in the solar system are changing.

And the effect of our tear drop shape of earth's magnetic shield. Do our electric shells tilt with it.

The corona area tilts and goes with it, right?

Is the south magnetic pole moving too?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I wonder if any other magnetic fields in the solar system are changing.

And the effect of our tear drop shape of earth's magnetic shield. Do our electric shells tilt with it.

The corona area tilts and goes with it, right?

Is the south magnetic pole moving too?
I'm wondering if it's changing could it change gravity, increase or decrease?

kv

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I don't know of any theory or observed evidence that the G field would change. But we do know that if our field flips......then the colliding solar flux will change direction. The left and right resulting vectors will flip.

We have alternating charge shells or belts too. If there is charge acceleration in those shells, due to our M field.....that direction should change(reverse) too. Maybe even the sequence of the belts.

This might turn into an elegant dance......or a complete cluster.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Don't think polarity has any thing to do with gravity.
I would tend to agree, but believe other forces to be at work at the quantum level. I was taught gravity to be like a bucket of water spinning which holds the water in the bucket which made no sense to me why they would use that example. If bucket has no bottom the water would fly out into the air.
I don't know of any theory or observed evidence that the G field would change. But we do know that if our field flips......then the colliding solar flux will change direction. The left and right resulting vectors will flip.

We have alternating charge shells or belts too. If there is charge acceleration in those shells, due to our M field.....that direction should change(reverse) too. Maybe even the sequence of the belts.

This might turn into an elegant dance......or a complete cluster.
I'm just looking at the existence of Gravity which is largely unknown, if Gravitons exist then on the quantum level a change in the Magnetosphere might affect most if not all particles. That change might result in a change or force of gravity if there are 4 forces at work. I'm saying a Solar Flux change like direction, intensity might have an effect on some particles how they behave resulting in change in the forces and how they work together.

Of course this is all a bunch of mumbo jumbo, because I'm not a scientist. But, I learned a long time ago, when someone tries to help me answer a complex problem by asking un-related issue to my problem with no real association in my search to find an answer to my problem. They misdirect me and suddenly a light comes on in my mind as I realize they had just mis-directed my mind long enough for the answer to come to the surface.

Sometimes we focus so hard in a liner way, or just maybe we use the left instead of the right hemisphere of our minds. A good example is the spinning lady. One day my friend was working on Maths, he couldn't see the spinning lady in both directions, until I asked a question about a problem I was working on with Math, it was a Math concept I didn't understand, but I knew he knew the answer.

Suddenly he exclaimed the lady spun the opposite direction. The misdirection of thought created his mind to possibly use the opposite side of mind, it was the only conclusion as we tested it over and over.

I had no trouble in switching her spin she rotated a half turn in each direction at all times, when I stopped focusing on her she would spin in one direction.

At the end of the day, if I can make some really smart people begin thinking differently by asking unrelated questions, maybe they will begin looking for the correct reasons why particles behave in a certain way maybe they may find the correct solutions to create experiments and disprove or prove theories in physics today.

kv

Last edited: