Early Xmas celebrations.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I like it when companies put pushing their products onto a back burner to just do something nice. Yes, it's still a commercial for T-Mobile and they want you to know that, but that's fine.

I remember during the 1996 Summer Olympics, Coca-Cola run a series of commercials that celebrated the games, but also directly tied the content to their brand. I had no problem with this, in fact, I thought the way they did it was far classier than most of the other advertisers that tried to co-opt the games by implying that their run-of-the-mill employees or their normal operations were somehow equal to the athletes or the Olympics in some way. Other companies, like UPS, did a better job by highlighting specific employees that where competing in the games, and talked about how the company supported their efforts. I thought that was completely fair.

But I had to really take my hat off to Coca-Cola for what they did just before the individual finals of the women's gymnastics. They took the basic template that they had been using through most of their commercials and made a commercial that ran, to the best of my knowledge, exactly once. They also removed all direct references to their brand -- you only knew it was a Coca-Cola commercial because the music was the Coke theme music with difference lyrics (like their other commercials) and the look and feel of the commercial was the same as the others. But this one was short and to the point -- the lyrics said it all. "First they competed as part of a team. Now is their one chance to pursue their own dream." When I saw that, it brought a tear to my eye and had me saying, "Now, that's class."

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Wow! That mall is only about an hour from home and I recognized it! Would have loved to see this live. I'm shocked that I've never seen it before.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I personally lose near 50% functionality of my body in below 25°C weather and almost dead in under 0°C temps :--p
Yeah, you don't want to get anywhere near that mall, here in northern Illinois. Not until April anyway.
A friend of mine gets debilitating leg cramps at times, and stiff hands in the cold. Probably not SPS but an interesting possibility.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Makes me want to get to that mall before Christmas. Online ordering rocks when it comes to actually buying stuff but there's nothing quite like the old mall experience.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Makes me want to get to that mall before Christmas. Online ordering rocks when it comes to actually buying stuff but there's nothing quite like the old mall experience.
Except that “old mall experience” only exists in our minds today. Todays mall experiences are more like empty stores, drug deals, gang wars and random shootings. Much like the old downtown experiences of yore. Here (Boston) shopping is returning to massive outdoor plazas.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Well, the specific mall in the video still exists and is a festive place this time of year, and really year round. All the malls closer to home have pretty much gone the way you described.

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
Yeah, you don't want to get anywhere near that mall, here in northern Illinois. Not until April anyway.
A friend of mine gets debilitating leg cramps at times, and stiff hands in the cold. Probably not SPS but an interesting possibility.
In my case, it is mostly like seasonal affective disorder (SAD) but causes feeling of crossification in physical movements somehow.
BTW, I prefer a fair online shopping than beeing crossified by owner of big malls with big prices. ;-)