Dying for a 1 wire switch IC similar to Maxim DS2413

amankrokx

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Well , I was looking for a slave addressable ic for 1 wire protocol which can control a single GPIO.

The RS2413 is the most right IC I could find suiting my needs (however I need only 1 gpio).
But in my country, I'm having difficulty finding this IC, also, if there is a little cost effective alternative (as I need 100+).

The 1 wire protocol range isn't a trouble , I'm not gonna place them over a distance more then 5 meters.

All I want to do is replace wiring of my house . Use 1 if and relay set for every appliance socket (bulb, fans, ac sockets ) and effectively let only 2 AC power lines through them all (Effectly saving wire clutter and cost).

This will also help me gain easy access to everything with Arduino etc.

If you have other suggestions than 1 wire, that will be appreciated too.

Mod edit: corrected part number in title - JohnInTX

Last edited by a moderator:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Well , I was looking for a slave addressable ic for 1 wire protocol which can control a single GPIO.

The RS2413 is the most right IC I could find suiting my needs (however I need only 1 gpio).
But in my country, I'm having difficulty finding this IC, also, if there is a little cost effective alternative (as I need 100+).

The 1 wire protocol range isn't a trouble , I'm not gonna place them over a distance more then 5 meters.

All I want to do is replace wiring of my house . Use 1 if and relay set for every appliance socket (bulb, fans, ac sockets ) and effectively let only 2 AC power lines through them all (Effectly saving wire clutter and cost).

This will also help me gain easy access to everything with Arduino etc.

If you have other suggestions than 1 wire, that will be appreciated too.
I have no earthly idea what an RS2413 is, no link to a datasheet. It is going to be very hard to help under these circumstances.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Not all "number compatible" DSxxxx chips allow operation with "1-wire parasitic power." A notable example is the DS18b20. Even devices with the same part number from different manufacturers are not specified for using parasitic power and will not work with "one-wire."

The only rational answer to your question is to ask the supplier if the chip is qualified for using parasitic power. No answer = probably not. Yes answer = test it.

amankrokx

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Not all "number compatible" DSxxxx chips allow operation with "1-wire parasitic power." A notable example is the DS18b20. Even devices with the same part number from different manufacturers are not specified for using parasitic power and will not work with "one-wire."

The only rational answer to your question is to ask the supplier if the chip is qualified for using parasitic power. No answer = probably not. Yes answer = test it.
I don't even want parasitic power mode. By refering 1 wire i actually meant the 1 wire protocol.
I just want a similar ic that can be addressed (connected in serial) and have 1 GPIO output to Control relay. Should be available and if possible, cheaper than DS2413, cause i need 100s

basically, you didn't get my question correctly, i said nothing about parasite power. Anyway I'll be running a cat5 cable.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't even want parasitic power mode. By refering 1 wire i actually meant the 1 wire protocol.
I just want a similar ic that can be addressed (connected in serial) and have 1 GPIO output to Control relay. Should be available and if possible, cheaper than DS2413, cause i need 100s

basically, you didn't get my question correctly, i said nothing about parasite power. Anyway I'll be running a cat5 cable.
Sorry. "1-wire" has multiple meanings. Good luck in your future endeavors.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
i don't think i fully understand...

if you are replacing wiring in your house... what stops you to use replacement cable with more conductors?
if you are keeping wiring in your house but re-purposing to be used for communication, how are you going to bring power to devices (outlets for example)? and if number of wires is a problem, why not forget about wires and go wireless?
if your house needs 100+ 8ch expanders, that is a lot of I/O so that must be a quite large house so it can't be cheap so why limit your budget to handful of chips? also if getting I/O expander IC is a problem, why not use just another MCU instead of each of them? or why use anything? if you have one wire and only need one GPIO, why bother it adding some IC in the middle?

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So basically your complaint is that the DS2413 has two channels and you only need one, and you can't get it in your country.
My question is: Why do you think a one channel device is going to be cheaper or any more available in your country?
I don't even know if that family of parts has more than a single manufacturer.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Why try to use a chip that is hard to source?
Build your own using a simple 8-pin MCU chip.

You may want to investigate X10 Home Automation systems.