Dual voice coil design

Arjune

Joined Jan 6, 2018
I'd like to know the winding directions of the voice coils in a dual voice coil speaker and how to connect a stereo output to a single dual voice coil speaker. Is it just like a transformer with a center tap for ground and left and right would go to either ends? Is it two voice coils together wound in the same direction with the common center for ground and left and right goes to either of both other ends? The important thing for me is that left and right do not cancel and reduce the volume.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Dual voice coil speakers a usually sub-woofers. I will assume that is what you are going to use yours for. You can connect the the left and right outputs from your amplifier, each to a separate winding but make sure the phasing is the same for each:
output high to + and low to -.
I have attached some more information about these to give you a better understanding on what they are, and how to use them.

https://www.soundcertified.com/how-...oduce sound when a musical signal is supplied.

Regards,
Keith

Arjune

Joined Jan 6, 2018
The reason I'm inquiring about dual voice coil speakers is because I think that cell phones need dual voice coil speakers to mix the left and the right channels because there is cancellation that makes the audio output lower than it should be when the output of the left and the right amplifiers are connected electrically to drive the single earpiece or speakerphone speaker, making listening hard due to low volume. With the stereo headset I am able to hear the volume loud in the call and with a mono headset the audio is low.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
When you use a mono headset on your phone, you are only hearing one stereo channel, divided between the two earpieces. That is why the volume is low. If you connect a low impedance speaker (4 to 8 ohms) directly to the phone output jack, you may damage the phone. It is designed for higher impedance earpieces (16 to 32 ohms).

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
No!
They make dual earpieces with each one connected to a stereophonic output channel, which makes the most sense.
If for some reason you want to listen to the stereophonic output as monophonic, you will have to use an external mixer with stereophonic two channel input and monophonic single channel output.