Dual motor control

ssnaples

Joined Jul 14, 2012
Current setup: 2 independent motors each controlled by separate solenoids, separate batteries, and separate switches. Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

1. When I toggle switch A (forward), both motors need to run in the same direction (forward). Likewise, when I toggle switch A (reverse), both motors need to run in same direction (reverse)

2. When I toggle switch B (forward), both motors need to run in the opposite direction (motor A forward and motor B reverse). Likewise, when I toggle switch B (reverse), both motors need to run in the opposite direction (motor A reverse and motor B forward).

I thought that simply connecting A1 from Solenoid A to A1 on solenoid B and likewise connecting A2 from Solenoid A to A2 on Solenoid B would do the trick, but nothing.

I know I am missing something that should be fairly simple here, but I am stumped and cannot figure this out. Attached is an image of my current setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

ScottDual Motor Diagram.jpg

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I don't think you can do it with the two SPDT switches. It is possible if you use two DPDT switches.
Does it cause any damage if both A1 and A2 are powered on a solenoid?

ssnaples

Joined Jul 14, 2012
I don't think you can do it with the two SPDT switches. It is possible if you use two DPDT switches.
Does it cause any damage if both A1 and A2 are powered on a solenoid?
I can change the switches if need be. If I powered A1 and A2 at the same time, wouldn't it short out as both sides would try to energize? How would the 2 DPDT switches work?

By connecting A1 (solenoid A) to A1 (solenoid B) and A2 (solenoid A) to A2 (solenoid B), I can get both motors to run forward and reverse at the same time, but I cannot figure out how to make them run opposite of each other with the other switch.

Any other thoughts?

ssnaples

Joined Jul 14, 2012
Impossible!
We know what you meant to say but that is not what those words mean.
Haha yes, what I meant to say is that when I toggle switch a forward, I can get both motors to run in the same direction (forward) and when I toggle switch A the other direction, I can get both motors to run in the same direction (reverse).

Now how to wire switch B to have the motors run in opposite directions? Is this possible?

ssnaples

Joined Jul 14, 2012
Do you think this would work:
1. Connect Solenoid A to Solenoid B (T3 to T3 and T4 to T4) and place a relay in between each line which would activate when Solenoid A is energized

2. Connect Solenoid A to Solenoid B (T3 to T4 and T4 to T3) and place a relay in between each line which would activate when Solenoid B is energized?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What you need is DPDT (double-pole double-throw switch).
If you get one with CENTER OFF you will be able to disable MOTOR B.

Dual Motor Control.jpg

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Now that I think of this, assuming that what you want are two controls:

LEFT - OFF - RIGHT

FORWARD- OFF - REVERSE

I will get back to you with the modified circuit.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Current setup: 2 independent motors each controlled by separate solenoids, separate batteries, and separate switches. Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

1. When I toggle switch A (forward), both motors need to run in the same direction (forward). Likewise, when I toggle switch A (reverse), both motors need to run in same direction (reverse)

2. When I toggle switch B (forward), both motors need to run in the opposite direction (motor A forward and motor B reverse). Likewise, when I toggle switch B (reverse), both motors need to run in the opposite direction (motor A reverse and motor B forward).

I thought that simply connecting A1 from Solenoid A to A1 on solenoid B and likewise connecting A2 from Solenoid A to A2 on Solenoid B would do the trick, but nothing.

I know I am missing something that should be fairly simple here, but I am stumped and cannot figure this out. Attached is an image of my current setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

ScottView attachment 205501
You can do what you are asking with only the circuit shown IF you add a control stick to operate the switches, Stick forward and both switches forward, switch straight back and both motors run backward. The switches must have a center off position.
Stick rotated left, motor B reverses motor A forward, stick rotated right, motor A reversed motor B forward. Stick forward and right, motor A forward motor B off.
I can't draw a picture, but perhaps you can visualize what I am thinking. A control stick that can move forward and back, and rotate a bit. With two side attachments that operate the switches, one on each side.

ssnaples

Joined Jul 14, 2012
Is this for something similar to a motorized chair?
Yes, similar functionality. I am using 2 winch motors to make a 4wd vehicle similar to that of a skid steer (bobcat). Using the two switches at the same time currently works, but I would like to uses 1 switch for forwards and reverse and another for left and right

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The description that I gave would use the two switches as described and add a control stick to operate both switches. Mechanically it woulsd not be that hard to do, and it would provide all of the required modes. best of all, no additional circuitry. Any other control scheme will be far more complex.
Of course the same scheme can also be done with four relays and a set of buttons, or an arrangement of spst switches operated by a lever, but that woukld be a bit more complicated as well.

ssnaples

Joined Jul 14, 2012
The description that I gave would use the two switches as described and add a control stick to operate both switches. Mechanically it woulsd not be that hard to do, and it would provide all of the required modes. best of all, no additional circuitry. Any other control scheme will be far more complex.
Of course the same scheme can also be done with four relays and a set of buttons, or an arrangement of spst switches operated by a lever, but that woukld be a bit more complicated as well.
Is this what you are referring to?
https://www.alliedelec.com/product/...VPyqzAB2nUAgyEAQYASABEgK6QvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds