Dual motor control

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Will give this a try. Assume that A1 and A2 are as I have them labeled on the solenoid. Can you kindly clarify what is B1 and B2?
This must be referencing back to post #1.
My control stick description was referencing the circuit in post #9. Sorry to have goofed. With nthose solenoid controllers the single stick lever solution will be simpler. And driving a vehicle with a single control stick is far more intuitive.

ssnaples

Joined Jul 14, 2012
You need two toggle DPDT center-OFF switches.

View attachment 205565
Is there a way to use my existing switches with this functionality? Meaning, can I uses DPDT relays which are triggered by the existing SPDT switches? The reason I would want to do this is that I also have a wireless rf remote in the setup that I would like to use to control remotely. Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ssnaples

Joined Jul 14, 2012
Can I use an 8 pin DPDT relay for this purpose? If I understand correctly the other 2 pins on the relay would come from the SPDT switch?

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We will use the following notation:

Switch 1:
FWD
+12V
REV

Switch 2:

LEFT
+12V
RIGHT

RELAY1
RELAY2
RELAY3

Solenoid 1
A1
A2

Solenoid 2
B1
B2

Dual Motor Control FWD-OFF-REV LEFT-OFF-RIGHT 02.jpg

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
RELAY1 energizes +12V to A1, A2, B1, B2 inputs of the solenoids when any toggle switch is activated.
RELAY1 is shown as SPDT. SPST (NO) will also work.

RELAY2 is energized when REVERSE or LEFT toggle switch is activated.

RELAY3 is energized when REVERSE or RIGHT toggle switch is activated.

The WHITE triangle on the relay coil is connected to BATTERY -VE.

Dual Motor Control Relays.jpg

ssnaples

Joined Jul 14, 2012
I am still working on the diagrams... which will be posted here.

Having trouble posting photos.
This will take some time because I have to leave it for a couple of hours.
This is great. Appreciate you taking the time to help me out on this project. Will check back later for the other images

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Is there a way to use my existing switches with this functionality? Meaning, can I uses DPDT relays which are triggered by the existing SPDT switches? The reason I would want to do this is that I also have a wireless rf remote in the setup that I would like to use to control remotely. Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
The question about remote control is how many of those functions do you want to control remotely? There are severl functions" Staight Forward , straight back, right forward, right back, left forward, left back, spin right, spin left. and stop. So that is 8 plus stop, which is "none." With just the two switching relays and the two SPDT center off switches you can get all of them. Doing the same with an RC system will be more complex.

ssnaples

Joined Jul 14, 2012
The question about remote control is how many of those functions do you want to control remotely? There are severl functions" Staight Forward , straight back, right forward, right back, left forward, left back, spin right, spin left. and stop. So that is 8 plus stop, which is "none." With just the two switching relays and the two SPDT center off switches you can get all of them. Doing the same with an RC system will be more complex.
I really just need forward and reverse and left and right. Would like to try and implement something using what I already have as I have 2 wireless remotes in the system which control each motor independently. Now how to get Remote A to control F and R of both motors and remote B to control L and R of both motors.

ssnaples

Joined Jul 14, 2012
RELAY1 energizes +12V to A1, A2, B1, B2 inputs of the solenoids when any toggle switch is activated.

View attachment 205658
Thank you! Let me test this today and will report back

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014

View attachment 205658
Do you need to worry about the potential race condition between relay 1 and relays 2&3? If relay 1 closes before the other two relays switch, one or more motor-control solenoids could be energized in the wrong direction momentarily before reversing.

I'm not really sure what the timescales involved are, so maybe this isn't really an issue, but I thought I'd ask.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Do you need to worry about the potential race condition between relay 1 and relays 2&3? If relay 1 closes before the other two relays switch, one or more motor-control solenoids could be energized in the wrong direction momentarily before reversing.

I'm not really sure what the timescales involved are, so maybe this isn't really an issue, but I thought I'd ask.
All valid questions. I do not know the answer.
A lot depends on what the solenoids shown will do. We don't have much info on those.

ssnaples

Joined Jul 14, 2012

View attachment 205658
This worked perfectly!!! I would not have figured this out with the limited knowledge I have. Thank you so much for your assistance on this project. Amazing.