Dual Full-Wave Rectifier Power Supply Issue

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Personally I value the function of mosfets far more than I value the functions of many people. :D

Grammar Nazis being one of them. :p
I used to be uneducated with grammar. I did some University and wrote some papers, and did learn a lot. I wrote one paper on capital punishment for murderers, rapists and paedophiles. I scored %65 (that's a credit grade in Australia)

cece671

Joined Mar 28, 2015
True. To get near 6.3VDC from 6.3VAC in a capacitor filter design you will need 3 diodes in series (2 besides the rectifier diodes).
For a given load you can further tweak it by adding a small resistor value in series with the load.
Hi crutschow,

I was thinking along the same lines, adding another diode in series.
I also read that it is possible to use a zener diode as a limiter, but this solution does not meet with everyone's approval.

Still, thanks for the advice, all is appreciated.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If you have a, "given" load, I prefer a series resistor. Some filaments seem to "flare" when first powered because the filament has low resistance when cold. "Too much" voltage compensated with some resistance mitigates this to some degree. My favorite kind of vacuum tube is one that survives for a very long time.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you have a, "given" load, I prefer a series resistor. Some filaments seem to "flare" when first powered because the filament has low resistance when cold. "Too much" voltage compensated with some resistance mitigates this to some degree. .....................
A resistor is fine as long as the burnout of one filament doesn't increase the voltage on the other filaments, due to the reduced current, to where they also burn out. ;)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Hi crutschow,

I was thinking along the same lines, adding another diode in series.
I also read that it is possible to use a zener diode as a limiter, but this solution does not meet with everyone's approval.
A single zener of the appropriate voltage and power rating on each leg would also work fine.
Don't understand any objections to that. :confused: