Dryer runs, but no heat

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
99.9% of the time it's your heating element
Brzrkr
I had the same issue (dryer ran but no heat) and I thought this same thing as well. All that stuff turned up good so I had to scratch my head. Took me a bit but finally found my issue to be bad contacts in the centrifugal switch on motor. I guess as some type of fail safe, It stopped the MCU in mainboard from sending control signal to the relay powering the element.

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018
And the element itself? I think they usually run around 10-15ohms. If its open then its bad.
i can't find the brown wire. when i do, i will test for ohms.

found this purple wire behind the element housing.

still trying to remove the cover so i can remove the element.

Attachments

Last edited:

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018
now i'm stripping out the phillips head fasteners that hold down the cover:(

why not use hex head fasteners?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If this is the outside of the dryer and no visible means of removal, many I have come across have two clips just under the top section, for these you need a very thin tool to push into the slot under the lid and depress the clips and the lid hinges up.
From there you can remove the innards.
Gently explore for the same methods.
Max.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
I'd like to note that Maytag driers will turn off the heating element somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes before the end of the cycle. You can't run a drying cycle for less than about 10 minutes, the element will not heat at all.

Just something to confirm before (sorry I'm a little late to this thread) you get too far into it. Make sure you've set the dial to longer than 10 minutes.

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018
my friends, i found the problem, only after i found and read a manual.
should have realized the control knob selection was on Air Fluff, but the knob is missing.
Now i have made the knob selection to Normal.
Dryer heats now, within ten seconds.
Thanks for helping me.:)

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Look on the bright side. The cost of a new meter is probably less than the cost of a new heater element.

At least you found the problem. That's good to know.:)

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018
used the dryer last night for an hour to dry my towels. worked great. got lurkwarm, not as warm as it should.

today i felt the dryer was very warm to the touch, even though it was last used last night.
so i turned off the breaker.
also I look at the heating element, and it was still how i left it, except now the long filiment was broken off.

Attachments

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
I bet the element has been bad the whole time as well as the dial being on air fluff. Tumbling some towels for an hours with no heat will still dry them pretty well.

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018
I bet the element has been bad the whole time as well as the dial being on air fluff. Tumbling some towels for an hours with no heat will still dry them pretty well.

the long filiment was not broken off when i last touched it. i don't understand.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Can't tell you how many times, Air Fluff was on. Came late to this a'Thread" been busy for a while this summer. With a meter a quick test will tell you the ohms of the element with a break that re-welds itself you won't see the exact ohms on the schematic. Although, if you have a clogged Air Vent will trigger your High limit above the heat element, it will act intermittently. Sometime works sometimes won't or for a short time anyway. Check the airflow. Make sure it isn't obscured, I've seen people put bikes or bang the vent with a bike. Or, just let nature take over and lint build up, clogged the latch hinge, this won't let it open. If not you may have defective limit thermostats. Without a meter you're lost.

kv

Edit: Also, if you get it going, make sure the filter isn't clogged by Softener sheets or Liquid softener, pull it put water in the vent screen, if the water doesn't flow thru then use a liquid de-greaser. Dawn, dish soap works well if your in America you'll know the brand. If outside the country it's just a de-grease chemical.

Last edited: