Dryer runs, but no heat

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018

Attachments

Last edited:

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Is this dryer on the line you just installed?Are you sure you have 240 coming in?

There are a few things that can make it not heat. Have you checked the element itself for continuity?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How old is the dryer?

There is a relay, temperature controller, and high temperature limit switch.
You may want to check those. The most likely fault is a break in the heater element itself. Look for this first. You can order and replace the element yourself. This is a reasonably straight forward task for the DIY person.

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018
Is this dryer on the line you just installed?Are you sure you have 240 coming in?

There are a few things that can make it not heat. Have you checked the element itself for continuity?
the line I installed is good. My oven heated up to 400F.

i would love to check the element for continuity, but i don't know where it is.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Has this worked previously?
There is also two thermal limits that can cause a problem.
Strange:
The Neutral terminal also shows a link across to the earth ground on the input terminal strip, if so, this is a NO-NO. (at least in N.A.).!
Locate the BR and BK wires these are the heater.
Max.

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018
How old is the dryer?

There is a relay, temperature controller, and high temperature limit switch.
You may want to check those. The most likely fault is a break in the heater element itself. Look for this first. You can order and replace the element yourself. This is a reasonably straight forward task for the DIY person.
from mid-90s.

i'm new to taking apart a dryer.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
I just had to take my dryer apart of last weekend for mine I had to remove the top first and then I could tear down the front to get to the innards

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
i don't know, i just bought it as is.
There's your first clue, most likely one of the thermal detect switches or the element itself, its a well known make so should be no problem getting parts, either local maybe, or on line.
Often the top lifts/hinges up, after releasing the front clips.
Max.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
from mid-90s.

i'm new to taking apart a dryer.
Everybody has to do something for the very first time.
If you are handy with a screw driver and a wrench, you can do it.

Yours looks similar to my dryer. I will have to compare model numbers.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
First thing. Unplug the washer from the outlet.
Post a photo of what the plug looks like.

Next, go to the internet and find a video on how to remove the front panel. There should be two screws on the front and that will require a stubby phillips driver or you will have to tip the unit backwards to access the screws.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
First thing. Unplug the washer from the outlet.
Post a photo of what the plug looks like.

Next, go to the internet and find a video on how to remove the front panel. There should be two screws on the front and that will require a stubby phillips driver or you will have to tip the unit backwards to access the screws.
Or on my dryer, I had to release the console, so I could tilt it forward to clear the back. Then, a few (6) screws held the back in place. After releasing the back, I had full access to the control, motor, and heating element wiring. IMHO , you need to google YOUR DRYER MODEL, to gain access for testing purposes.
The first (and most important test) is that your heating elements have continuity. Then, work backwards. Does the control circuit work? Are the control circuits receiving power? And etc.. etc... etc...