Does this look like a factory defect?

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Please see pictures.
The board is out of a Radio/ CD Player / Cassette Player / Record Player.
I am trying to fix it for a friend who paid $50.00 for it.
It gets power to the board, but nothing works.

I took it apart, and here is what I found on the main board (see pictures).
I think someone before me tried to fix it and botched it.

Does this look like a botched repair job, or might it have come from the factory this way.?

Another curious thing, it says Model No. CD-R083 on the outside sticker, and Mfg. date read 2014, but one of the boards inside has a date of 2008?
Is that unusual?

I do have a 10v 100uF cap to replace this bad one, but is it worth the effort?
I've never successfully soldered tiny leads like these on the IC, and SATA plug.
Oops, I didn't upload the picture of the SATA plug, but a couple of the legs look detached.

Any advise helpful,
Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Believe it or not, some factories churn out junk that looks like that. Clearly either the quality of the factory's output is lacking or somebody unqualified has at work on it. Or both.

The capacitor would have failed for one or more of many reasons including it being a faulty component.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
I am trying to fix it for a friend who paid $50.00 for it.
It gets power to the board, but nothing works.
hi Gary,

nice to know i'm not the only one with friends like yours, not much wrong with it, just not turning on... :)

[realistic]

drew the line on those jobs many years ago, couldn't see the point of spending many hours performing micro surgery on a device to find out the surface mount components were shot.

nowadays i look at it this way with friends, is my time/tools/skills worth more than the amount that was paid for it?

[/realistic]

should be able to draw the line from the first look, as much as i'd like to help, sometimes i have to tell them they made a mistake buying s/h

kind regards,

Tom

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
hi Gary,

nice to know i'm not the only one with friends like yours, not much wrong with it, just not turning on... :)

[realistic]

drew the line on those jobs many years ago, couldn't see the point of spending many hours performing micro surgery on a device to find out the surface mount components were shot.

nowadays i look at it this way with friends, is my time/tools/skills worth more than the amount that was paid for it?

[/realistic]

should be able to draw the line from the first look, as much as i'd like to help, sometimes i have to tell them they made a mistake buying s/h

kind regards,

Tom
Agreed. I had to slam the door a few years back as well. Shortly after I moved into this neighborhood, rumor got out that my garage was full of tools. Suddenly I had guys pushing their lawn mowers to my house, people asking if I could help them fix x, y or z and inviting me to their house for dinner and suddenly a half-finished project appears that need to take home and fix/finish for them.

Maybe when I retire, I will hang a "repair"sign on my house but then I will charge for my time. Or, I just may sell all the tools and learn to use the phone to call someone to repair my sh*t for me as I sip beverages with little umbrellas in them all day.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Good find, @JohnInTX!

Yes, having a board that is six years older than the play is unusual, It might mean that somebody swapped out a broken board in an attempt to repair it. In some parts of the world, new cases with old guts are sold as new.