Does the operative system resides in a removable memory ?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Linus could be loaded from a USB stick, assuming your laptop is capable of booting from it. I've done it before for other purposes different than yours, but I'm not the Linux expert here.
Paging @joeyd999

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Well you are going to have to erase the OS. But you can load Linux from a thumb drive.
I'm not sure about that... I've booted linux from a USB before, and worked from there without having to touch the Windows OS... what I don't know is how far you can get with that... could you, for instance, install Linux's office or some other software without affecting what's already installed in the hard drive?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yes you should be able to boot Linux from the thumb drive. Then again you will have a thumb drive hanging off you laptop and that might not be too attractive of an option.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Thanks.
That tablet has a micro SD slot up to 32GB, which would leave nothing hanging if the OS can be loaded and booted in there. But still, the paranoia tells me not to have anything Microsoft in the same machine...
Are these things typically with embedded OS ? How to find out its design architecture ?

Found this... but would need to crack open the tablet to see if there is a SSD...
----> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-replace-or-upgrade-the-ssd-in-your-windows-8-tablet/

Last edited:

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Nope. Single boot, far from any Windows content. If I wanted Microsoft, would be in another machine that I do not care if dies.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Nope. Single boot, far from any Windows content. If I wanted Microsoft, would be in another machine that I do not care if dies.
Confused I am. You said you wanted to keep the Windows.

Regardless if you dual boot from the main drive, or boot from an external drive/USB, the Windows 'content' will be there if you don't erase it. In either case, though, the Windows stuff would not be able to "corrupt" the other OS.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
OK...just reread your first post.

I think the answer is no. The solid-state drive in that machine is likely just a few flash chips soldered directly to the main PCB. That's likely how they keep the cost down. So, no, you probably could not remove 'it' and replace it with a blank one.

Is my interpretation of your question correct?