Does anyone recognise this switch?

denno

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Hey all,

I've recently bought a new kettle, and I absolutely love the power switch for turning it on.

I've had a look around online but can't seem to find something similar, however I'm searching using some very broad search terms.

I'm hoping that someone would be able to recognise the switch and where I might be able to purchase some, without me having to buy multiple kettles just to take the switch out.

An image is attached showing the switch on the kettle.

Thanks,
Denno

Attachments

denno

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Thanks gerty.

I was able to find many rocker switches, but the thing that I really love is the white ring around the switch when it's turned on. So it's lit with an LED, as well as the red/green LED dots..

Looking at the switch, it seems as though the white ring around the edge is actually part of it, and that's the part making me like the switch so much..

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hey all,

I've recently bought a new kettle, and I absolutely love the power switch for turning it on.

I've had a look around online but can't seem to find something similar, however I'm searching using some very broad search terms.

I'm hoping that someone would be able to recognise the switch and where I might be able to purchase some, without me having to buy multiple kettles just to take the switch out.

An image is attached showing the switch on the kettle.

Thanks,
Denno
The ring is likely a decorative piece from the kettle manufacturer. Clear rings like this use the fiber optic effect and an external LED fitted to a cup in the edge of the ring.
The rocker might even be proprietary, a simple spring steel latch with two arms on the visible switch. Those arms would activate some simple board-mount tactile switches.

I suggest that you take the kettle apart to see how it works. If I am wrong, you will have a discrete switch and you can get a part number and manufacturers name off of it.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The ring is likely a decorative piece from the kettle manufacturer. Clear rings like this use the fiber optic effect and an external LED fitted to a cup in the edge of the ring.
The rocker might even be proprietary, a simple spring steel latch with two arms on the visible switch. Those arms would activate some simple board-mount tactile switches.

I suggest that you take the kettle apart to see how it works. If I am wrong, you will have a discrete switch and you can get a part number and manufacturers name off of it.
Yes... the ring looks specially made for the kettle... your pic clearly shows that the ring is curved to match the kettle's shape... I highly doubt you'll find an identical switch sold separately... What if you were to call the kettle's manufacturers and asked them if you could buy a spare from them?

denno

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Thanks cmartinez, they look really close! What did you search for to find them!?

I've emailed Breville (the manufacturer of the kettle), as they actually offer spare parts! So I'll be able to find out how much the exact switch is from them :).

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I googled "lighted ring round rocker switch" and found one of them, the other one I found with simpler keywords... you may notice that on the british site it says that the switch's brand is Radio Shack ...