Does anybody know what voltage Bumper Cars use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I was asked today and, although I've thought about it every time I waited in line to get my turn on those things, I've never looked for an answer until today - only to be disappointed with the lack of info on the interwebs.

It seems most fairs and amusement parks have discontinued them or turned the bump-inducing open space into an oval all in the name of eliminating hear-on collisions and the concussions and facial injuries that follow (not to mention broken/crushed limbs and hands). Few "experts" are left. Even the guys who operated them back in the day claim the equipment was so poorly maintained that nobody setting them up had an answer either. They just connected this to that and it worked - or it didn't.

Anyhow, back on the question. The only answers out there seem to be speculation - low estimates based on safety (48 and 50v are common estimates/guesses). Many past employees remember just connecting them to a power drop and assumed they ran off of 120vac but never thought a transformer may be in the pile of crap somewhere.

One story looked at a rubber insulator and, based on thickness and a conservative safety factor, he suggested they run at 900 volts (that was the highest, and most unlikely, estimate).

Anyone have a guess? Have an estimate? Or, actually have expert knowledge?

Thanks.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Put me down for under 50 volts
I would guess it too but, I've seen the carnival guys and I just have a feeling they are not interested in hauling around a huge transformer. We are talking 6 to 12 cars all running at the same time. I'm hoping 48 volts is the answer but, I'd really like to hear from someone with hands-on experience.

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
A quick search, in Danish, for "Radiobiler spænding" led me to Denmark's second largest city Aarhus, Tivoli Friheden, and some data on their cars - It's fortunately 48 Volt.

The English version of the page can be found here: Bumper Cars

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
How does the electrical system work in those things? I was just at the local fair with my kid and I was staring at the bumper cars. The metal roller on the metal ceiling is obvious, but the floor didn't LOOK conductive.. maybe it is even though it doesn't look like it visually?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
When I was a kid (long time ago) we would frequently see sparks between the floor sections during operation. Apparently the ground lead was tied only to one section and the others just made contact from being screwed together. As the week (usual time for carnival), the screws would work lose and the sparking would begin.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It seems most fairs and amusement parks have discontinued them or turned the bump-inducing open space into an oval all in the name of eliminating hear-on collisions and the concussions and facial injuries that follow (not to mention broken/crushed limbs and hands). Few "experts" are left. Even the guys who operated them back in the day claim the equipment was so poorly maintained that nobody setting them up had an answer either. They just connected this to that and it worked - or it didn't.

Everyone always wants to take the fun out of everything. :(

Appearing this summer, in Gopher's back yard. A good old fashioned bumper car ride, complete with broken limbs and head concussions. ;)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Is this what keeps you up at night? :)
No, but I do seem to attract questions from every Tom, Dick and Harry because I know a guy who knows them and yadda, yadda, yadda - I have a stupid question to answer.

Same way I get asked to judge science fair competitions, scholarship competitions and, most recently, help arrange a series of lecture on, of all topics, living on another planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.