Does a simple bug detector response to electric field or magnetic field?

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
bug detector.jpg
Hi.

This is a very cheap and simple bug detector that is supposed to make sound when it detect RF signals between 100Mhz-2600Mhz. I found out that it doesn't do what it supposed to do,since its sensitivity is very poor.It detects signals of some mobile phones(while some mobile phones it doesn't detect),wi-fi transmitters,garage doors remote control signals etc.at a distance of maximum 5 cm in the best case.Thats all. Regard to my description,What may be the method of that cheap bug detector:detection of magnetic fields,electric fields or maybe both?
I meant,if you compare it to a standard EMF meter which has 3 measurment functions:
1)function of detecting only electric field strength.(v/m)
2)function of detecting only magnetic field strength(gauss/tesla)
3)function of detecting RF/microwave strength in w/m2.
What function is similar to the method of the bug detector detections?
It seems like the third one(RF strength)is the most similar,but the problem is,as i mentioned,the bug detector response only close to the transmitter,while RF strength may measured at the far field.
So,it makes me difficult to understand.
Here is the PCB circuit of the bug detector:
bug detector circuit.png
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Why? what is wrong with the circuit?
How the hell could we possibly know that? A picture of a PCB with many unmarked components and only some of the tracks visible is not a lot to go on. But your own description clearly shows that it does not come close to doing what it claims, doesn't it?

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
Yes,it does not come close to doing what it claims,but when you said before:
..Anyone surprised?

It is a circuit that is designed to do one thing -- separate you from your money.
It was sound like you followed the circuit and understood that,it is a piece of junk,
while saying"...Anyone surprised?..."
Anyway,if we may go back to my issue,what is your opinion:
When this"bug detector"makes a sound(and that happens,as i mention before,max 5cm from the
objects that i described before),what does it actually sense:electric fields?magnetic fields?
For example(theoretically):if it was used as EMF meter,while in EMF meter there are several
measurment function,what could it detect?What unit might i choose(among the EMF meter functions)?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There is no way to tell how that particularly piece of junk is supposed to work (based on what has been provided, at least) or whether it even ever was designed to try to do what it claims. There really isn't any point in even trying to figure out how it supposedly works. It is snake oil. Just like all the commercials you hear about all the wonder supplements that are supposed to cure anything and everything. People buy them only to discover they don't work. There is no point trying to figure out how they were supposed to do what they claimed they were going to do -- they are snake oil!

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
There is no way to tell how that particularly piece of junk is supposed to work (based on what has been provided, at least) or whether it even ever was designed to try to do what it claims. There really isn't any point in even trying to figure out how it supposedly works. It is snake oil. Just like all the commercials you hear about all the wonder supplements that are supposed to cure anything and everything. People buy them only to discover they don't work. There is no point trying to figure out how they were supposed to do what they claimed they were going to do -- they are snake oil!
As we both said,it doesn't do what it supposed to do.however,it still detects something in the range of
max 5 cm.What is the "something"that it actually detects?
Based on your experience,may you try to guess refer to my question:

"When this"bug detector"makes a sound(and that happens,as i mention before,max 5cm from the
objects that i described before),what does it actually sense:electric fields?magnetic fields?
For example(theoretically):if it was used as EMF meter,while in EMF meter there are several
measurment function,what could it detect?What unit might i choose(among the EMF meter functions)?"

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
As we both said,it doesn't do what it supposed to do.however,it still detects something in the range of

"When this"bug detector"makes a sound(and that happens,as i mention before,max 5cm from the
measurment function,what could it detect?What unit might i choose(among the EMF meter functions)?"

A purely Electric field is static (DC) - can exist with no current flow
A purely magnetic field is static (DC) - must have current flowing to make a magnet

An electromagnetic field has both magnetic and electric fields and the changing field of one creates the changing field of the other.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

How many times and how many ways can I say this?

There is no way to tell how that particular piece of junk is supposed to work (based on what has been provided, at least).

IF you were to take the time and COMPLETELY reverse engineer the ENTIRE schematic for that circuit, including the part numbers and/or component descriptions for EVERY component on that board, then MAYBE we could make an attempt to figure out the intended means of operation. Even if WE wanted to do that for you, you have not provided enough information for us to even start making an attempt to do so (and I doubt that anyone here has any interest in putting that much effort into reverse engineering a piece of crap snake oil circuit even if you did provide it). This thing may well be nothing more than a noise amplifier, but even that can't be determined based on what little you have provided to go on.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There is no way to tell how that particular piece of junk is supposed to work (based on what has been provided, at least).
While, obviously DodgyDave crushed your assumption @WBahn! There was apparently plenty of information available on the intrawebs to solve this based on the initial information given by the OP.

How many times do you have to say that?

I don't know but you were wrong every time.

Google is your friend, Wbahn, no reverse engineering need!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Ah I see what it is now, it's actually a cleverly disguised MOSAD bug with audio, video,infra red, GPS and mind control, obviously designed to help in the zionist plan for a NWO.........Do we need to alert Alex Jones to this device ? I would ignore the component markings, plainly designed to confuse anyone who delves into the inner workings.
You're wrong... this device was built by the Illuminati, it's for their master plan of world dom.... wait.... someone's knocking my door... they're BANGING at it actually... OH NO!!!!! :eek: ******

EDIT: You heard nothing, understand? :mad:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
While, obviously DodgyDave crushed your assumption @WBahn! There was apparently plenty of information available on the intrawebs to solve this based on the initial information given by the OP.

How many times do you have to say that?

I don't know but you were wrong every time.

Google is your friend, Wbahn, no reverse engineering need!
Good. So now you can answer the TS's questions about exactly how it works. Beyond that, I'll let your trolling slide on by.

xchcui

Joined May 12, 2014
The photo of the circuit that i provided,btw,is,actually,been taken from the you youtube video,that
Dodgydave attached.But i think you didn't understand what was my question.I didn't ask how the circuit
works or what each component does.I just would like to compare it to EMF meter.Since i thought to use it to get a rough estimate value of the field strength of some appliance.Use it as an rougth estimate EMF meter,but i need to know what kind of fields does it response to.
When this detector response to"something"at the range of max 5cm,Does the"something"that it detect is as the "something"that the EMF meter when it set on"gauss"function?set on the "v/m"function?
I hope you will understand what i mean.