Do you think it is possible to use rotary hammer to drill borehole DIY ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Do you think it is possible to use rotary hammer to drill borehole DIY ?, Same rotary hammer can use to driven ground rods
and It is good idea to make boreholes with 3/4" driven ground rods, driven at 12 meters deep, then pull out, and replace it with manual driven 2" galvanic pipe ?, do you think it's feasible ?, with no rocky layer, is copper bonded rods is strong enough to be pulled out ?

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
A good hammer drill will put a ground rod in very quickly. I've used the technique in practice. It works well.

I'm not sure about pulling it out or using the bored hole to insert a pipe.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It is not likely that a two inch galvanized pipe can be driven 12 meters, about 38 feet, very easily with only having a 3/4inch hole to follow, unless the ground is very soft, such as a bog or a swamp. Unless a driving arrangement to prevent damage to the pipe is used, it is probable that the pipe will be damaged a bit, and not likely go straight down.

If this is an effort to drive a well, it will need to use pipe intended for the application, which is quite different from regular pipe.
Is this an effort to make a well?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That is why there are jet pumps. They will work for over 100 feet. And there are pumps that can fit inside such a pipe.
And back in 1964 I lived in an area where the water was only two feet below the surface.

OR, it may be that the TS wants to dispose of something underground. We have no information, other than another post where the comment "cost does not matter" is made.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi MisterBill2, I did not realise you get a pump small enough to fit down a 2" pipe. I have not heard of jet pumps. Do they work work using high pressure water to force up water from the bottom of the well using the venture effect ?

Les.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hi MisterBill2, I did not realise you get a pump small enough to fit down a 2" pipe. I have not heard of jet pumps. Do they work work using high pressure water to force up water from the bottom of the well using the venture effect ?

Les.
A jet pump uses a combination of the venturi effect along with air bubbles to force water up. It is not at all a new technology, it has been used for many years. There are versions with the pumpat the bottom of the well, and versions with the pump remote above the well. That is about all that I know in any detail about jet pumps.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
It is not likely that a two inch galvanized pipe can be driven 12 meters, about 38 feet, very easily with only having a 3/4inch hole to follow, unless the ground is very soft, such as a bog or a swamp. Unless a driving arrangement to prevent damage to the pipe is used, it is probable that the pipe will be damaged a bit, and not likely go straight down.

If this is an effort to drive a well, it will need to use pipe intended for the application, which is quite different from regular pipe.
Is this an effort to make a well?
Yes... this is an effort to make a well
Do you think like this video is possible ?

That is why there are jet pumps. They will work for over 100 feet. And there are pumps that can fit inside such a pipe.
And back in 1964 I lived in an area where the water was only two feet below the surface.

OR, it may be that the TS wants to dispose of something underground. We have no information, other than another post where the comment "cost does not matter" is made.
I just want to made my own well, before... in my Mother's home plumbers only use manual galvanic pipe filled with high pressure water from thank and diesel pump, and it's work, it's only use : 2" galvanic pipe, diesel pump and human power, existing well in my Mother's home is only 7 meters deep

I just want to made my own well, before... in my Mother's home plumbers only use manual galvanic pipe filled with high pressure water from thank and diesel pump, and it's work, it's only use : 2" galvanic pipe, diesel pump and human power, existing well in my Mother's home is only 7 meters deep
like this video..., but they fill 2" galvanic pump with water from diesel pump, and not really high pressure, also only use two human power

Water table is only about 1.2 meters deep from soil surface at rainy weather

Les.
I will realize it... also in my mother's home there is no submersible pump, only jet pumps... and in my area there is 2" submersible pump available... so... it's very feasible to make my own well... You need to learn about jet pump

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
A pump with a 2 inch outlet is a bit bigger in diameter than two inches. It will likely need to be put in a well pipe that is on order of probably 4 inches in diameter. Maybe 3 inches - but good luck with making your own well. I know it's doable. I just think you're going to learn a few things about wells and pumps in this endeavor.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The two inches is the casing diameter, It is NOT the pump inlet or outlet connection size. And I have looked thru catalog pages of well pump distributors. They give sizes and list performance but did not go into detail as to exactly how they work. So my critic should be quiet.
The correct depth for a water well depends on the depth of the water bearing layer. That varies quite a bit.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
A pump with a 2 inch outlet is a bit bigger in diameter than two inches. It will likely need to be put in a well pipe that is on order of probably 4 inches in diameter. Maybe 3 inches - but good luck with making your own well. I know it's doable. I just think you're going to learn a few things about wells and pumps in this endeavor.
NO... There is submersible pump available for 2" well pipe

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The two inches is the casing diameter,
Maybe on planet Michigan they use a 2 inch well casing, but not in the rest of the world. My well, driven back in the 1950s is 4inches. My in laws well driven in the 1990s is 6inch diameter.

So my critic should be quiet
I will when you stop making statements that just aren't true, and if you spent even a few minutes on Google you would no they don't add up to being real.

I did let you go on this one. But since you are so set on being right no where not even on planet Michigan would that water be deemed safe.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If the TS put in a well using 2 inch galvanized steel pipe, then the casing diameter would be 2 inches. Evidently that is the common approach in wherever the TS lives. At least that is what was mentioned by the TS.
I am aware that here in much of the USA larger diameters of well casing are used, which is fine because it allows bigger pumps that can be lowered into the well.
BUT that is not what the TS is asking about.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Depending on the 2" pipe, its inside diameter can be 1 1/2" to 2 1/4". Not just any 2" pipe will accommodate a pump with a profile of 2". Scroll down to the 2" callout and you'll see what I'm referring to.
http://www.iblink.com.pk/Links-data/Free-gifts/2_PIPE SCHEDULE & INNER DIA DIMENSIONS.pdf
OK, NORMAL 2 inch pipe would be schedule 40, and only a fool would choose something that would be a close fit as the size to push through a 36 or 38 foot section of pipe. The fit is not like shaft and bearing or piston and cylinder. 2 inches is a nominal size.

Status
Not open for further replies.