Do Triggering a half SCR half diode rectifier need Pulse Transformer?

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
But you will have to control the triggering of the diodes manually. By applying the required voltage to turn them on.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
But you will have to control the triggering of the diodes manually. By applying the required voltage to turn them on.
What does this mean? The trigger timing can be in a feedback loop. I wouldn't consider this to be manual control. Did I misinterpret your meaning?

whywhy68

Joined Jun 11, 2008
I have successfully done it like this. You have to pick component values depending on your application and SCR specifications.

1) May I know what is R3 used for?

2) Is R3 included in controlling the firing angle of the SCR ?

3) May I know what is the related formula for adjusting the firing angle of the SCR with C , R2 ,R3(if needed) ?

Would greatly appreciate if some expert can assist me over here. I am using the SCR for making a AC/DC rectifier

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
R3 is a bias for the SCR, and yes, it is definately part of the phase shifter. I'll let someone else take question #3.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005

1) May I know what is R3 used for?

2) Is R3 included in controlling the firing angle of the SCR ?

3) May I know what is the related formula for adjusting the firing angle of the SCR with C , R2 ,R3(if needed) ?

Would greatly appreciate if some expert can assist me over here. I am using the SCR for making a AC/DC rectifier
R3 keeps the SCR off when it is not triggered, by providing a path to ground for the gate current. It may need to be a lower value, depending on the SCRs you choose. The trigger signal must be a fast-rising positive pulse edge, so R3 has no effect on the phase. The same is true of C1, R1, and R2.
The circuit below is one way of controlling the phase. You may find a simpler way to do it.

Attachments