DIY tube amp power supply

Paulo540

Joined Nov 23, 2009
Check this place.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

If you want to use tubes as your amp, you'll need to run 240v or more through them to make em sing. and then you'll need multiple transformers with multiple taps on each, for input as well as the output. Plus you have to pay a lot of attention to wiring locations and placement to reduce/eliminate noise.... yadda yadda

and yeah, transformers are pretty much always a major bulk of the expense.

So, if you just want a decent sounding amp project, you might wanna stick with solid state. There are some really nice projects out there that will be nicer to your wallet and still reward you with hi-fidelity sound.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you want a halfway decent tube/valve amp kit, be prepared to spend a good deal of money. You won't find anything decent by spending less than $500 or so. The really good ones start at around $1000

Don't get me wrong, I love tube/valve amps for their sound. However, you can build semiconductor amps that sound really good for far less.

If you're looking for decent sound inexpensively, go semiconductor.

If you're looking for high-end audiophile, go tube/valve - but be prepared to spend a lot of money.

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I went to an electronic store nearby my place they had a 117V center tap 18V for $7.50 that's the closest they had... I think