DIY tube amp power supply

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
That works for me! :)
OK, I threw it together in a "quick and dirty" simulation.

See the attached.

The positive and negative rails work out to be around 35v.

The B+ for the tube/valve will be near 60v.

You'll need a transformer that has a center-tapped 24VAC secondary winding, (24v-0v-24v) or two separate windings. It'll need to be rated for at least 150VA (150 Watts).

You'll also need a secondary that is 18v-0v-18v, but that one can be rated for much less power. It's supplying the plate voltage for the preamp, which will draw comparatively little current.

You'll also need a 9v secondary winding for J7 to supply the filament current.
A quick search turned up this page:
http://www.drtube.com/tubedata.htm
Looks like your heater will draw 365mA current. You could use a wall wart rated for 9vac @ 350mA - 400mA

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
We have no clue where you are located (adding that info to your profile is a good idea) so we don't know where to suggest to look for suitable transformers.

The 24-0-24 may be listed as 48v center tapped.

Here's a 24v/48v transformer that would work:
http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tri...=sGAEpiMZZMv4oUrzpPKU3A2NOXuypJmAngR2Fh1SFW8=
That's actually not too expensive considering the power your amp requires.

Here's an 18v/36v transformer you'd need in addition to the above:
http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tri...EpiMZZMv4oUrzpPKU3O%2bui9ulA%2bFliTLs5r6hyK8=
You'll still need a 9vac transformer.

legac

Joined May 4, 2005
Hi
The transformer schematic says that the power IC uses the source of 48 volts center tapped and a fullwave bridge rectifier to provide +30 and -30 VDC. The interesting thing is that the tube uses 24v plus 18v = 42 vac and rectify to produce about more than +50 vdc, then it is regulated to provide B+ for the anode of the tube. This kind of tube can work at relatively low anode voltage. In this case the tube is working as cathode follower, there is no voltage gain.

If you have only 48vct transformer , then you can use one branch of 24 vac to get half wave double voltage rectified to provide B+ for the tube. The schematic of double voltage rectifier is very popular.

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, our OP's board wasn't designed with a voltage doubler circuit built in. Arguably, it wouldn't be very difficult to do so - and I don't know why the designer didn't put that feature in from the beginning. I don't know how comfortable Frenchie29 would be with making such modifications to their already-assembled project.

It would also mean having HV sort of floating in midair, due to the additional caps & diodes that would be necessary.

The three transformers don't necessarily have to occupy three outlets; you could wire the transformers all together in an enclosure, and have just one power cord.

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Simpler the better for me as you guys can see I'm learning :)

I taught I could of used a wall wart a bit of midufication and that would be it.. but I guess not

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
A "wall wart" would not be able to supply the power you'll need for your amplifier.

You need the 24v-0v-24v aka 48v center tapped aka dual 24v to be rated for at least 150VA. That's over 3.1A current. That transformer will be pretty bulky. It will make a good door stop. Don't drop it on your foot, or you will break something.

As I implied before, the 18v transformer can be a rather light duty model; it really doesn't have to put out a lot of current. However, it will either need to be a center-tapped 36v transformer, or have dual 18v outputs.

I really don't know where to buy electronic components in Canada. AudioGuru would know, as he lives up there, and obviously does a lot of work with audio components.

He may even know where you could find a single transformer that has suitable outputs. Those are getting quite rare though, as transistors and ICs have replaced tubes/valves in all but very expensive audiophile components.

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
but it's rather pricey:
Darn, the amp cost me $85 with shipping. I should of done my research before I bought it!!!!

I know that store is a bit more pricey then the usual, bu like we say they know their s&*t ;) mostly when you don't... like me

There's always ebay

Last edited by a moderator:

tkng211

Joined Jan 4, 2008
1.The first stage of the amplifier using the vacuum tube doesn't have any voltage gain.
2. The Input Volumn Control used is 50K(A). That means the input impedance of the amplifier is not very high (50K parallel 499K).
I don't think the tube is required. As Audioguru said: the vacuum tube can only add more distortion.
So you can just neglect the vacuum tube circuit and feed the input signal directly to the IC. By doing so,The only power supply you need is a transformer rated at 130VA (more or less), with secondary 24V-0-24V(or 2 windings supplying 24Vac).
3.You need to add a suitable heat sink to the IC too.

Attachments

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Active 123 had little transformers. They closed their store that was near where I live.
Sayal sells surplus parts and I don't think they sell big transformers.
Electrosonic has a big warehouse and should stock most Hammond transformers.
But I buy most things online from Digikey or Newark.

I am still waiting for some snow. Today was cold but mostly sunny.

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Active 123 had little transformers. They closed their store that was near where I live.
Sayal sells surplus parts and I don't think they sell big transformers.
Electrosonic has a big warehouse and should stock most Hammond transformers.
But I buy most things online from Digikey or Newark.

I am still waiting for some snow. Today was cold but mostly sunny.
What????? they closed their store????? The one on Gordon Baker?? I was there 2 weeks ago. I bought my whole shop there over the years.

So AudioG what do you suggest??? Where are you from anyways?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The Active 123 store that closed was in Mississauga for many years.
Sayal in Mississauga was beside them and took over the space (and maybe many of their parts) to enlarge their store.

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008