DIY tube amp power supply

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Audioguru do you know A1 parts in Etobicoke???
http://www.a1parts.com/

For sure sure sure this guy has something I was there today and I bought an old voltmeter probably from the 50's that guy has everything but doesn't help you at all so you're on your own.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Nothing on E-bay worth looking at right now.

You have to be careful buying stuff on there; it can be complete garbage.

They'll also use confusing specifications, like .100kVA - when you glance at it, it looks like wow - that's a heavy duty transformer - until you realize that's just 100VA, and only about 2/3 of what you need.

It would stink to spend good money on something you couldn't use.

As far as connecting things up - you haven't even decided on a transformer yet.

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
It was $10 I just want the meter one of my next experimentation is a variable power supply from a PC PSU and I can throw that meter in the mix

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Here's for the 18v/36v transformer:

Yes, you still need both, and yes, you still need a 9v transformer. But, the 9v transformer is pretty self-explanatory.

As far as the wiring to the wall, I'm not sure if Canada has different standards than the USA.

Attachments

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I domn't know if I should abort the project all together!!!! Those 2 tranformers with shipping are gonna cost me almost $100 You guys know any other kits with tubes that would be good for a beginner?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Classic tube/valve amps are neat, but the expensive part (as you've discovered) is getting a power supply built that won't break the bank.

The kit you built really isn't a tube amp. It only uses a tube for high impedance inputs. The amplification is performed by the IC.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I have never built a tube amp kit.
I designed and built my own back in the early 1970's using a 12AX7 tube. The transformer was salvaged from an old tube TV set.

Heathkit used to be the place to go for high-quality kits, but they've been out of business for years now.
[eta]
If you want to buy a complete tube/valve amp kit, you'll spend in the neighborhood of $200 on up.

Try searching Google for "tube amplifier kit".

Last edited:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
For the few amplifiers that I´ve built, each time I had the transformer wound for my specifications, it turned out to be cheaper than buying a ready-made, especially when you need weird combinations of voltages. For example my last one was 2x44V@6.5A, 2x15V@0.5A and 2x10@0.3A. That was for my bass head, and cost me cca $100. another one was a 300W toroid, 2x24V i think, that was about $40.

But I really have no idea about availability of custom transformers where you live. I think electronics tinkerers here are a bit lucky, because we have a pretty strong tradition in DIY of all kinds, and the makers of the transformers still have enough orders to have acceptable prices.

frenchie29

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I think I'm gonna go to one of the store that I go to sometimes, the place looks like a tornado went trough it but they have everything imaginable.

So what do I need so I can ask the guys there

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I think I'm gonna go to one of the store that I go to sometimes, the place looks like a tornado went trough it but they have everything imaginable.

So what do I need so I can ask the guys there
Again?

One with 120v primary, 48v center tapped secondary, or two 24v secondary windings, at least 150vA rating.

One with 120v primary, 36v center tapped secondary, or two 18v secondaries. 5vA would likely be enough.

One with 120v primary, 9v secondary, 3vA or more.